record breaking flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Would anyone know what the record is for altitude with commercial motors that are available on the market right now? thanks!

~118k feet, n5800 to n1100

I thought Jim Jarvis made a flight with commercial motors to 130k ft? That's the highest flight made with commercial motors that I know of but I'm just wondering if they is one flight that may be higher.

I thought Jim Jarvis made a flight with commercial motors to 130k ft? That's the highest flight made with commercial motors that I know of but I'm just wondering if they is one flight that may be higher.

The one I listed was Jim's staged-O, not sure if it's the most recent.

Jim Jarvis did do a 3 stage flight at Balls 2015, that went to 130K. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66850-So-maybe-I-ll-try-a-three-stager/page6 There have been other high altitude flights not listed in the TRA records. Part of the rules require all parts of the rocket be recovered in a "flyable" condition. In 2015 Jim was unable to find one part of his rocket. The sustainer was recovered with electronics. Another rule is that the rocket must not violate the waiver. This includes the foot print of the waiver. With higher flights the jet stream really has an affect on the rocket up and down and at times it is hard to keep them "inbounds'.

Tony

thanks, for all the replies, but what i was really looking for is not an official record, just the highest flight.

thanks, for all the replies, but what i was really looking for is not an official record, just the highest flight.

As far as I know, that would be Kip's work bench 2 to around 150K followed by my 3-stager to 130K, and then a couple of others (mine, Neil Anderson) to 118K. Kip's rocket was damaged during the recovery, but the up part was great.

Jim

As far as I know, that would be Kip's work bench 2 to around 150K followed by my 3-stager to 130K, and then a couple of others (mine, Neil Anderson) to 118K. Kip's rocket was damaged during the recovery, but the up part was great.

Jim

Thanks! Was there a build thread done on that one?

Back