Recommended size of nomex parachute blanket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleder

Reaction score
So I have the MadCow Little Cowabunga (1.6") that is approximately 8" long w/o nose cone. They shipped a (9"x9") blanket. After I stuff that thing in the tube, there is pretty much no room for the parachute. What is the minimal size that I would need to protect the chute (6"x6") would seem more reasonable. I might need to cut this thing up a bit.

Thanks,

Jarod

The general recommendation is:

3" X 3" for tubes up to 1"

6" X 6" for tubes 1" - 2"

9" X 9" for tubes 2" - 3"

12" X 12" for tubes 3" - 4"

18" X 18" for tubes 4" - 6"

24" X 24" for tubes 6" - 8"

30" X 30" for tubes 8" - 10"

36" X 36" for tubes over 10"

The general recommendation is:

3" X 3" for tubes up to 1"

6" X 6" for tubes 1" - 2"

9" X 9" for tubes 2" - 3"

12" X 12" for tubes 3" - 4"

18" X 18" for tubes 4" - 6"

24" X 24" for tubes 6" - 8"

30" X 30" for tubes 8" - 10"

36" X 36" for tubes over 10"

Bingo (6x6) I will have to bust out the sewing machine and scissors now. Can't wait to see what the wife says when I bust out her sewing machine for Rocket work. LOL.

Bingo (6x6) I will have to bust out the sewing machine and scissors now. Can't wait to see what the wife says when I bust out her sewing machine for Rocket work. LOL.

What's wrong with that,, lol...

Teddy

What's wrong with that,, lol...

Teddy

Nothing at all. I am the only one that has really ever used the thing. Between sewing patches on leather and this, it has been a good machine. But she is the one that wanted it. Now if only I could get her to want more rockets.

Here is my handy work... Didn't feel like changing the thread to blank. Should work nicely, everything fits now without being jammed all in there. Took the nomex blanket down to 6x6.

Before 9x9
IMG_2119.jpg

After 6x6
IMG_2120.jpg

That came out pretty cool Jarod,,
Good work man...

Teddy

Good work!! Kevlar is very abrasive. If you run kevlar thread through a home machine you will likely damage it. 100% cotton thread should do just fine for your purpose. If you used polyester or a blend, see how long it lasts and go from there. Might be just fine....

As the laziest man on the planet and given how cheap as they are, I would have just purchased the 6x6 and saved the 9x9 for something in the future...

With a 1.6" body tube I'd just use dog barf and forgo the blanket.

Good work!! Kevlar is very abrasive. If you run kevlar thread through a home machine you will likely damage it. 100% cotton thread should do just fine for your purpose. If you used polyester or a blend, see how long it lasts and go from there. Might be just fine....

As the laziest man on the planet and given how cheap as they are, I would have just purchased the 6x6 and saved the 9x9 for something in the future...

It was cotton thread. It only took 3 minutes. I figured it was worth a shot. I will need to buy some more for other rockets that I will be switching the blanket too. Like the MRDM and Leviathan.

Just need to find a good supplier for them.

With a 1.6" body tube I'd just use dog barf and forgo the blanket.

+1 on that, I've had nothing but bad luck with chute protectors getting jammed into those 38mm tubes. Get a TopFlite thin parachute, and use dog barf.

Back