Recommended alligator clips for starting Estes (and other) Starters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
i have the PRatt Hobbies Go Box

https://www.pratt-hobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GO-12 (And no, I don’t get a commission)
Which I really like. I have the cigar lighter version which plugs into a socket on a portable jumper battery.

I like the clips, they are stronger than the Estes electron beam,

Problem is they are toothed, rather than flat. Which is great for HOLDING the starter wires (I am trying to avoid the I-word), but they are getting sooty after a bunch of launches, and because of the teeth, Sandpaper isn’t working to clean them off.

Anybody got any replacement type recommendations, or other was to clean these off?

Wire brush attachment on a battery powered Dremel.

xhCNXDr.jpg

+1 on the toothed clips. Too many instances of the flat clips slipping off prior to ignition. Some don't even close completely straight out of the package. Clean with a small fine wire brush, emery board, or rotary wire wheel. What's an alligator without his teeth?:D

Last edited:
Teeth or flat, it still has to be a well-made clip. Mueller makes good ones.

If the spring is not aligned, or the hinge is loose, the teeth won't engage lined up. Also, the teeth will bite into and short AT crapperheads.

Pluses for good flat microclips: easy to clean with doubled-over sandpaper, easy to get into small places closer to the nozzle, less to get in the way for clipping to boost-gliders, and better contact with AT crapperheads (masking tap on alternate sides).
A minus: too small for fat fingers.

I prefer the ones with teeth, so they hold better.
When I lunch I carry a small piece of sandpaper to clean the clips. I doesn't take much, just enough to remove the soot. Maybe three or four wipes.
I also clip the wires up a bit and twist the free end up around the alligator clip. The back is often cleaner and the greater contact area should give better contact.

Current Mueller BU-34C copper clips are only a shadow of those that used to come with Estes launch equipment "back in the day". Current ones are very thin and unsatisfactory. So both dsdemar's statement about them and cwbullet's are true in my experience.

I have started using the stainless ones flat-jawed clips on my personal GSE, though I do need to reread micromeister's "how-to" on soldering them as my attempts have been less than successful and I'm currently relying on crimping and heat shrink tubing.

If I could get copper clips like the ones on the old Estes GSE I have (Electro-Launch, Launch Control System), I'd be get a bunch in a cold minute.

Current Mueller BU-34C copper clips are only a shadow of those that used to come with Estes launch equipment "back in the day". Current ones are very thin and unsatisfactory. So both dsdemar's statement about them and cwbullet's are true in my experience.

I have started using the stainless ones flat-jawed clips on my personal GSE, though I do need to reread micromeister's "how-to" on soldering them as my attempts have been less than successful and I'm currently relying on crimping and heat shrink tubing.

If I could get copper clips like the ones on the old Estes GSE I have (Electro-Launch, Launch Control System), I'd be get a bunch in a cold minute.

I agree. The old ones are hard to find.

Wire brush attachment on a battery powered Dremel.

xhCNXDr.jpg
I think this is likely my best shot. I agree, teeth are better for gripping, but sandpaper doesn’t do well cleaning between the teeth.

Also will try der MicroMeister’s soldering technique.

Thanks folks!

Back