Recommendations on glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Would you like a jelly baby?
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I turned a flying disk into a rocket, The blue disc, and it worked very well and I launched it three times so far. Pleased with my success I decided to upscale to a glow in the dark. The blue one was made in USA. Glow in the dark made in China.
The power core is attached to the blue disk with RocketPoxy. The power core for the glow in the dark disc has failed to remain attached with RocketPoxy and a rebuild using gorilla glue 5-minute epoxy. The epoxies held on throughout the flights and only peeled off on landing both times.
I'm open to suggestions as to what glue or epoxy to try next otherwise I'm going to have to find some system for a mechanical attachment.IMG_20211216_163726.jpgIMG_20211216_163138.jpgIMG_20211216_163113.jpgIMG_20211216_163109.jpg

sandwich the disc between MMT blocks (top & bottom) which are glued to the MMT(s).

"Made wear" is much less important that "made of". I had to laugh when I read this, because I recently started a thread on gluing to polypropylene nose cones, which is a very similar problem. In my recent research I've discovered that Loctite 770 is a primer for hard-to-glue plastics that allows bonding with CA; and this may well be a situation for it. But I haven't tested it myself and I am absolutely not telling you that it will work, only that it may be worth a shot.

That said, if I were in your shoes I'd switch to mechanical attachment, as you stated you might.

sandwich the disc between MMT blocks (top & bottom) which are glued to the MMT(s).
And I agree that, for mechanical attachment, this sounds like a very good idea.

Question - if you cant the motors causing the disc to spin (like a frisbee should) does it provide better stability - both on ascent and recovery?

Zap a dap a goo glue
Shoe goo
Foam tac
But epoxy may work if you just drilled a few small holes in the disc and allowed the epoxy to ooze through. Kind of like fingers to hold it in place.

Back