Recommendations for GPS software for Android Device (for Eggfinder LCD Bluetooth connection)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So after getting back into the hobby after a 20+ year hiatus, I'm getting things ready to fly again. I used a Missleworks Alt in the past and I plan on getting an RRC3 for the backup. Back then GPS tracking wasn't a thing like it is now, so I'm going with the Eggtimer Quasar as my primary Alt for the built in GPS tracking. I've already built the Eggfinder LCD and will be using the Bluetooth module to communicate with one of my Android tablets.

What are some of the recommended GPS tracking software options to take a look at?

I use Rocket Locator. Not sure if it's still available. I recently upgraded my phone and ported over the app and it seems to work on Android 12. Works OK with my Egg stuff. One time I had a rocket land in a field of mature corn and I probably wouldn't have found it if not for my Eggfinder.

Search the forum for Rocket Track. It is a side load apk and not found on Play Store. I find it better than Rocket Locator.

I don't know how to download the app from the github files, and the version I found on another thread that has it located on Google Drive crashes immediately.

For the one I've downloaded that appears as a zip file attachment to a post, I get a message that says Rockettrack was made for an older device and may not work correctly. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I suspect that someone who knows what they're doing needs to update the app.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I have installed Rocket Track and Rocket Locator on an old Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 that I had in a drawer. Just have to wait for the Eggfinder bluetooth module to arrive so I can pair and test.

I've installed the version of RocketTrack found in this post as a zip file :

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...gps-tracker-for-smartphones.53120/post-522568

It appears to be version 1.0. I've attached it below.

And it's working with my Eggfinder LCD with a Bluetooth transmitter module, my tablet is using Android version 12. At least, I think it's working, sitting in my living room. The true test will have to wait until the weather gets better.

Attachments

• RocketTrack.zip
    449 KB · Views: 0
Not finding it...

Did you try "Rocket Track" in the search bar? I did.

Well, for us non-developers, having the source is a non-starter. Not having the knowledge of how to build the app from the source is a showstopper.

Well, I mentioned that it was an apk file and the very first thread mentioned above gives it to you. Nothing to build.

I don't know how to download the app from the github files, and the version I found on another thread that has it located on Google Drive crashes immediately.

For the one I've downloaded that appears as a zip file attachment to a post, I get a message that says Rockettrack was made for an older device and may not work correctly. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I suspect that someone who knows what they're doing needs to update the app.

You can ignore this warning. I have a newish Galaxy S20 running Android 13, and Rocket Track seems to be working as before.

Edit: Never mind. You have it up and running. Good.

Back