Recommendations for GoPro-type camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My old DSLR doesn't do video, and my phone video is merely okay. Looking for recommendations on GoPro-type cameras. I'm not looking for fabulous features or performance. Just a modest-cost camera--couple hundred bucks or thereabouts, maybe--- I can use to shoot decent video for (example) rocket launches and for posting on the web.

Best,
Terry

Have you considered a used smartphone, such as an iPhone 8, X or Android equivalent? They're a dime a dozen on the FB marketplace and you can get a good deal if you're ok with a cracked screen and have a bit of patience.

If you like the Gopro form factor, don't be afraid to look at Gopros that are one or two generations older than the "latest and greatest" on eBay. I have a couple that are considered to be practically ancient but work just fine. I use them kayaking, biking, in church (I can hide them for perspective views), and for model train videos. Much cheaper than new, and often come with many extras.

Any suggested models? They’re a bit cryptic to me.
My oldest is a 3+ and is at least a generation before Gopro had a screen on the back. Now, I'd get one that does just to make it easier to set up. That said, my second one is 4 Session that I like, but they no longer make, because it us just a little smaller. Honestly, for how I'd like to use one, if they made one half that size, I'd consider it.

But again, the price of being smaller is that it doesn't have a screen, so you have no idea what your video looks like until you download it. If you're okay with that, you can buy them pretty cheap. If not, then stick with a newer one that has a screen on the back.

There weren't any other huge leaps in technology between generations so unless you have a very specific need, buy a cheap one, from a reputable seller, on eBay, and play with it to see how you will use it.

You might also comparison shop to get one that has more "stuff." The basic thing us the waterproof case, but after that are clamps, brackets, goosebecks, straps, headbands, and all sorts of other things to mount it to your head, body, bike, kayak, tripod, helmet, etc. There are also some ridiculously cheap packages available online that will supply you with more of that stuff than you are likely to use. I bought one and it's been occasionally handy.

As an Official OldGuy™ who has used SLRs and a DSLR for some decades, I find my phone camera a bit awkward to use, so I'm looking for something closer to that form factor. My DSLR is an older model that doesn't do video. I don't expect to use the camera much for "action" stuff but would like having that capability.

Many thanks for all the suggestions!

As an Official OldGuy™ who has used SLRs and a DSLR for some decades, I find my phone camera a bit awkward to use, so I'm looking for something closer to that form factor. My DSLR is an older model that doesn't do video. I don't expect to use the camera much for "action" stuff but would like having that capability.

Many thanks for all the suggestions!

FWIW -- https://www.amazon.com/ULANZI-Smartphone-Detachable-Wireless-Shooting/dp/B086C3N1SN/

1667773015699.png

Could combine with a lens kit -- https://www.amazon.com/Telephoto-Kaleidoscope-Starburst-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07FWSWRT5/

Go simple if you want. Get a Runcam for most general uses. I like the GoPros and they are my goto. However, I also like the Runcam. As far as GoPros I recommend getting a new one - The new ones have a great warranty, neat features and can do 4K. They can also do time lapse and slo-mo (the older ones are somewhat spotty with any slo-mo) and if you are handy with a video editor, you can make some nice videos.

I'm assuming you're looking for a hand cam for filming on the ground and not in the rocket. I can't imagine using a Runcam on the ground but maybe there's a version that can. I have the Gopro8 which I've been using for two years now. The issue I have with using the Gopro is the difficulty of zooming in using the touchscreen. It's possible but easy to mess up. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 10 this Christmas (Costco sale starts 11/20) because the battery life in the 8 sucks. I have two that I use to swap out during a typical launch day, and they last about 6 months before they start to swell. I've used the same battery in my Gopro3 for the past 8 years.

I was using an iPhone before. The issue is that the iPhone does a great job of stabilizing the video while walking but has difficulty focusing in on an overhead rocket, especially on a cloudy day. Plus as noted above, it's difficult to hold while bending backwards and looking up. I've played with the slomo mode but don't like it. The iPhone is now relegated to streaming and now using a Sony Handycam. It takes practice to zoom into the floating rocket. My main complaint is that using the zoom switch makes a tick noise on the video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5LH9HO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Another issue is that it doesn't have a separate mic input so I can put a foam over the mic to prevent wind noise. I did buy these. They got lost in the mail so had to reorder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TC6P3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I can't imagine using a Runcam on the ground but maybe there's a version that can.

There are many versions of the Runcam from non-recording FPV cameras to 4K recorders. I agree that you have to have the right one. I use the Runcam 2. I've put it on cars, on the bill of my cap, on tripods for launches, on model airplanes, for remote recording of fireworks and just about anything you would use a small fixed lens camera for. They have a 4k version but mine are all 1080p. The video is quite good. The battery life in the cold (anything below 50 F) is quite bad. However, you can use an external supply and that works for some cases. In the end, it is a $100 camera so a Gopro will outperform it in most cases - usually in features. It is lighter and easier to mount on things than the Gopro but that is a marginal benefit sometimes. Here is one on one of my mobile camera mounts. It is being used for FPV and recording of travel - power is from the main battery on the 'bot.. The larger camera is taking the pictures. The second picture is a frame grab at 1080p.

1667812038724.png

1667812817946.png

Last edited:
This is totally off track from the OP's question, but you got me to look at the Runcam. The way that it's designed, can the circuit boards be reconfigured or are they always in a set configuration? I have a decent setup to do video on O-scace or HO-scale model trains, but one of the projects I'd like to do is to extend that capability to N-scale or even Z-scale. To do that, I need a really small camera, or a camera that I can stretch the compenents along the length of a railroad car (or two). Some of the Runcam *cameras* are small, but they all need to be attached to hardware and I couldn't quite figure out how the hardware was configured, or what hardware was even necessary, from their website.

There are lots of YouTube videos on them. I am not sure exactly what you want so I hate to make a recommendation. Don't want the camera to show? Solutions could range from hiding a Runcam2 (if the hidey hole is large enough) to using an FPV Runcam (non-recording) which would let you hide it in a very small space but you would have to wire it to either a separate recorder or an FPV transmitter and record it with a rx/recorder/display that is remote from the train - that can run up the cost quite a bit and running remote does not get you video like an in-place recorder does.. Runcam sells wiring kits so you don't have to figure out how to wire much (a little, though). Check out Youtube for more detailed information.

The basic Runcam 2 has several adjustment features which can be accessed through your cell phone. However, it is nothing like the GoPro for flexibility. You can download the instructions from the Runcam site to see what I mean.

Back