Recommendations for ball bearing swivel to prevent spinning and line entanglement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Simpson

Reaction score
As above, any suggestions out there for ball bearing swivels to attach to the chute lines to prevent tangling? I'm looking for something relatively heavy duty (up to 10lb rocket, high power). Got some 1100lb fishing swivels today but sadly the lines and quicklink t fit through the eyelet :(

As above, any suggestions out there for ball bearing swivels to attach to the chute lines to prevent tangling? I'm looking for something relatively heavy duty (up to 10lb rocket, high power). Got some 1100lb fishing swivels today but sadly the lines and quicklink t fit through the eyelet :(

No need for the quick link to fit through the eyelet...attach the swivel to the quick link, then attach the recovery gear to the quick link. Questions, I can send you pics for clarification!

Preston

No need for the quick link to fit through the eyelet...attach the swivel to the quick link, then attach the recovery gear to the quick link. Questions, I can send you pics for clarification!

Preston
Pics would be great! Thanks!

I've been using a #10 ball bearing fishing swivel (810 lb. test) on a 13 lbs. rocket for 10 year now. It has 46 flights on it and I've never had a problem. The welded rings are about 1/2 inch diameter so the quick links fit with plenty of room.

What kind of swivel did you find with 1100 lb test and too small for a quick link?

Pics would be great! Thanks!
20181126-171300.jpg

This photo shows two different methods. You could either attach your swivel with two quick links and attach your recovery equipment to the tethered link, or you could attach your swivel to the rocket by a solid connection then use a single quick link similar to how I have my shock cord attached to the eye bolt.

Last edited:
For my 70" TFR main I sorted and looped the shroud lines then made a short bridle with tubular kevlar and my sewing awl. I then use a quick link for the main swivel to the main shock cord and the nose cone is along for the ride.

~John

Attachments

• IMG_20180714_113011496.jpg
    IMG_20180714_113011496.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20180805_132630983.jpg
    IMG_20180805_132630983.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20180314_215352792.jpg
    IMG_20180314_215352792.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 183
will just your shock cord fit through the eye of the swivel?

Tony
IIIUSADI I have used these heavy swivels on several rockets without prob and they are very smooth and I do like them, . BUT ,... remember the weights listed are for fishing and are probably breaking strength. The continuous load bearing strength is probably 15 to 30% of that but therrte is no way to know since they dont list testing methods etc.. Take the numbers with a tbsp salt.
The small ones with that torpedo shape are esp good for estes or type because they are less likely to catch and tangle chugte lines

Back