Recommendations for Acme fin can?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Acme fin cans; Ultramid polyamide composite.

What's the best finishing products, prep coat and top coat?

sand, sand, sand...just keep sanding just keep sanding, sanding sanding sanding...

I mounted mine to 54mm filament wound fiber glass tubing using JB Weld, sanded the fin unit, and primed with KILZ primer, and painted away.

The sanding is the key, as the ACME fin units have some mfg slag that needs sanfing off for a good finish.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
sand, sand, sand...just keep sanding just keep sanding, sanding sanding sanding...

I mounted mine to 54mm filament wound fiber glass tubing using JB Weld, sanded the fin unit, and primed with KILZ primer, and painted away.

The sanding is the key, as the ACME fin units have some mfg slag that needs sanfing off for a good finish.

Sanding well under way. There was way more flash than should be acceptable. In fact the halves weren't exactly aligned. I'm not real pleased with the manufacturing of the Acme fin can.

And it's about twice as heavy as it needs to be.

Anyway, WHICH Kilz primer? There's a bunch:
https://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=61

Just a thought, would epoxy paint be the best for this surface/substance?

The flashing and the two halves of the mold not coming together are typical of the ACME fin-cans I believe. I had the same problem.

Quite honestly, I used Walmart Brand primer and paint, which turned out yucky. I went back to Walmart and bought the $3.50 can of KILZ primer, and it made it all better...including the mfg defects. The can of primer is white, with KILZ written in red on the can. I used Rustoleum gloss black as the main color, and it turned out great.

Back