Recommendations for a vise?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 of these. I use them A LOT in my leather crafting and knife/sword sharpening.
Putting rubber jaw covers on with some Barge Cement would work good for electronic work.
May not be exactly what your looking for, but they are strong and I can set rivets on the small anvil.

SEE HERE

I really like my 8-inch Wilton. It's 103 lb. or so of badassitude on the corner of my big bench in the garage. No reason for it not to outlast me and two more generations. Got it used on Craigslist back around 2007 or so.

Stay away from this and similar Wiltons:
https://wiltontools.com/vises/speci...ses//cbv-65-super-juniorr-2-1-2-vise-clamp-on
I have that one and it's hot made-in-China garbage. Functional, now that I've gone through and reconditioned it so it will actually work. But still garbage. Unlike their true professional vises, Wilton doesn't stock any parts for these, because they buy complete boxed units from some factory in China. I had to retap the draw mechanism that had gotten boogered. So I had to go buy an ACME-ish metric tap, after figuring out what I needed, off fleabay.

I picked up one of these Ridgids locally off Craigslist for cheap. The guy had a bunch of them. I think he'd bought out a local store that got water on the floor or something, because the boxes all had water damage. But the factory anti-rust coating kept the tool itself in excellent shape, brand new at used price.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/quick-acting-vises
Super nice tool. What I don't like about it is the jaw faces are fixed to the frame, so there's no flipping them around or changing them out. Your only option is add-on soft jaws. There's a Yost ripoff of it. I don't know how much worse that might be.

Beware the vise acquisition syndrome. It can get to be something of a vice.

Smoking, drinking and caffeine are bad. . . oh, @cvanc beat me to it. . .

In my experience, 'multi-tool' tools are usually less than ideal at any specific task. Sure, if you're backpacking and can't bring hundreds of pounds of stuff with you, a multi-tool might be the right choice.

In my shop, I have 5 or 6 specialty vises (and maybe a few generic vices) and they do their job very well. If you aren't planning on permanently mounting the vise and are thinking of the suction cup route, I'd suggest getting a nice smooth piece of heavy tile to mount it to. I do that with the little vise I use when soldering electronics.

My gut feeling is that any vise with a ball pivot or similar to allow for infinite positioning isn't going to be useful for anything but the most low force tasks (soldering, light sanding, maybe) and a fixed tool with either special jaws or fixtures can be a better way to get in there and move material. Maybe I've just had cheap stuff, though, when it comes to ball-pivot items.

I hope you find the right solution and let us know how it works for you!

There's a lot to be said for expensive singe malts.

Signed,
But maybe I misunderstand the assignment

Also signed,
Aberlour A’bunadh

Separated by a common language again.

https://www.thoughtco.com/vice-and-vise-1689521

American English makes a distinction between vice (moral depravity) and vise (a tool). However, that distinction is not made in British English, where vice is used for both senses.

Definitions
The noun vice means an immoral or undesirable practice. In titles (such as vice president), vice means one who acts in the place of another. The expression vice versa means conversely or the other way around.

In American English, the noun vise refers to a gripping or clamping tool. As a verb, vise means to force, hold, or squeeze as if with a vise. In both cases the British spelling is vice.

We have a couple of the Panavice at work. I find there is not much support for the ball so I find myself having to tighten it up more to resist whatever forces I am applying (ie. filing, etc).

I really don't like the Panavice for that reason. The Stanley one has much better support, from what I can see in the picture, for that sort of work.

YMMV.

Back