Recommendations for a sandable primer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two cans from Amazon a year ago for $.99 each. It's now $19.80 each. (!!!)
Amazon's dirty little secret is that anything you buy from them on a regular basis, they raise the price on you, and just you. I have gone to Amazon's site from a computer that has no account, and priced something, and then went to buy it from my phone which is linked to my account, and it was $2 more on my phone, even though I was looking at the PC price which was $2 less.

They even charge Macintosh users more than Windows users based on the browser name. If you go in using Safari, the price will likely be higher than if you used IE or Edge. I've got to start a study on this. I'm sure if I could prove with enough evidence that they overcharge some customers over others, I could bring some kind of class action suit against them.

Duplicolor primer works well but goes on 'thin' .
I just finished shooting primer on a rocket; used SEM Primer Surfacer for the first coat, sanded with 400 grit then shot a coat of Duplicolor white primer and sanded with 600 grit.
View attachment 532317
This is my go-to for the SECOND coat. I use Duplicolor FILLER for the 1st coat, which is quite effective at filling tube spirals. It goes on thick. Then sand thoroughly - it sands quickly, not much elbow grease required. Then the Duplicolor white sandable primer as above. Both of these products dry very fast. Can do all of the needed priming coats in an hour.

Hans.

Does anyone know if there are problems using Duplicolor white sandable on top of Krylon 2-in-1 gray? (Two coats of Krylon to fill, then one coat of Duplicolor to finish.)

Krylon.JPG Duplicolor.JPG

@SkyFire -- Thanks. That answers my question—never put enamel under lacquer. I guess the money I saved on buying Krylon 2-in-1 gray filler from Walmart ($6.43/can) will help offset the outrageously high price of Krylon white sandable on Amazon ($15.90/can).

@SkyFire -- Thanks. That answers my question—never put enamel under lacquer. I guess the money I saved on buying Krylon 2-in-1 gray filler from Walmart ($6.43/can) will help offset the outrageously high price of Krylon white sandable on Amazon ($15.90/can).
Generally speaking that's true; never put lacquer over enamel.
However, there are exceptions to every rule.
Testors 'Wet Look Clear' can effectively be sprayed over enamel (it's low in solvents), and is an excellent high gloss clear, albeit expensive.
Wet look clear.jpg

If I used Krylon and Duplicolor, it would be lacquer under enamel. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Makes all the difference in the world!
Lacquer paint has 'hotter' solvents than enamel. Spraying lacquer over enamel will cause the enamel to dissolve, bubble, and other undesirable effects.
Spraying enamel over lacquer should be fine provided the lacquer has cured and all the solvents have 'off gassed'.

Amazon's dirty little secret is that anything you buy from them on a regular basis, they raise the price on you, and just you. I have gone to Amazon's site from a computer that has no account, and priced something, and then went to buy it from my phone which is linked to my account, and it was $2 more on my phone, even though I was looking at the PC price which was $2 less.

They even charge Macintosh users more than Windows users based on the browser name. If you go in using Safari, the price will likely be higher than if you used IE or Edge. I've got to start a study on this. I'm sure if I could prove with enough evidence that they overcharge some customers over others, I could bring some kind of class action suit against them.
You should start a thread on this and request participation my members here. I would participate as time allows. Maybe ask people to add a specific product to their cart at a specific time, and report back the price, platform/browser/location in US.

I buy a lot from Amazon over various app/browser modes and never noticed these shenanigans, but it doesn't really surprise me.

As a Cyber Security/IT guy now by trade, this is a BS practice but don’t doubt it is happening.

without knowing all the details, you can use the browser on phone vice amazon app. (DO NOT USE CHROME BROWERS OR APPS for anything). caps intended. Google isn’t ur friend.

Some apps like to “trust” the device you have and will recognize it. you have to consent to this.

depending on whether using an iphone or android, varies on security settings.

i would recommend installing DuckDuckgo app, Firefox, Opera and Brave for browsers. i primary used Brave or Opera and search with duckduckgo.

you should be able to clear the cookies and cache and also disown ur account to the devices. don’t stay “loggged on all the time.

If Amazon is doing this - they should be challenged and if no response- report to ic3.gov and your state ftc board (most states have something to protect online cyber stuff

let me know how ya make out. inexcusable to be doing this.

No, it doesn't...or at the very least, many of us have experiences with the 2X primer feeling rubbery or sticky as if it's not 100% dry.

Someone said the 2 in 1 filler/primer from Rustoleum works well, though.

I sprayed some Rustoleum 2X Primer on a motor mount / spool 4 days ago... and it's still kind of tacky and gooey?

At that same time I sprayed a rocket with Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler & Sandable. I sanded that rocket yesterday and applied the finish primer coat of Rustoleum Primer Sealer.

I don't think I'll be buying Rustoleum 2X Primer ever again.

1st coat - 09-27-2022

001.JPG
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2nd coat - 09-30-2022

003.JPG001.JPG

Interesting, my experience with the 2x primer has been all good so far. Dries fine, sands easily enough.
Give the 2 in 1 Filler Sandable a try. The primered part can be handled after about a half an hour, and it can be sanded within hours, instead of days.

Interesting, my experience with the 2x primer has been all good so far. Dries fine, sands easily enough.
After reading about different results so many modelers have with paints, it wouldn't surprise me if there are variations in the paint due to age of the product, temperature conditions during transport or minor variations in production. Then combine this with an almost infinite set of variables when actually painting (temp, humidity, how often you shake the can, drying parameters, etc.) then I guess it's not that surprising many of us get different results.

After reading about different results so many modelers have with paints, it wouldn't surprise me if there are variations in the paint due to age of the product, temperature conditions during transport or minor variations in production. Then combine this with an almost infinite set of variables when actually painting (temp, humidity, how often you shake the can, drying parameters, etc.) then I guess it's not that surprising many of us get different results.
All very true.

The fact remains, if you have never tried a certain product, you'll never know if you like it better.

I sprayed some Rustoleum 2X Primer on a motor mount / spool 4 days ago... and it's still kind of tacky and gooey?

At that same time I sprayed a rocket with Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler & Sandable. I sanded that rocket yesterday and applied the finish primer coat of Rustoleum Primer Sealer.

I don't think I'll be buying Rustoleum 2X Primer ever again.

1st coat - 09-27-2022

View attachment 539944
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2nd coat - 09-30-2022

View attachment 539946View attachment 539945
That rocket is coming out great. Nice short-fat dude...

Duplicolor primer works well but goes on 'thin' .
I just finished shooting primer on a rocket; used SEM Primer Surfacer for the first coat, sanded with 400 grit then shot a coat of Duplicolor white primer and sanded with 600 grit.
View attachment 532317
I am currently finishing my second zephyr jr. I had filled in the spirals with Elmer’s CWF, but after accidental wood glue running along the body tube and fin fillet, extra sanding that I had to do on the dried up wood glue knocked off a lot of my fillets.

I just used a whole can of Duplicolor 2 in 1 filler/Sandable primer, 90% of spirals are gone and has gone on uniform.

Just picked up a can of ‘filler’ primer from duplicolor that states will fill ‘deep’ scratches. I will test this out to see what the difference is. I’m sure it will do great and perhaps go on thicker, but since I realistically need one more coat , I can’t really test out the difference. I will put this up to the test on my next build

Back