Recommendations for a sandable primer.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought two cans from Amazon a year ago for $.99 each. It's now $19.80 each. (!!!)
Amazon's dirty little secret is that anything you buy from them on a regular basis, they raise the price on you, and just you. I have gone to Amazon's site from a computer that has no account, and priced something, and then went to buy it from my phone which is linked to my account, and it was $2 more on my phone, even though I was looking at the PC price which was $2 less.

They even charge Macintosh users more than Windows users based on the browser name. If you go in using Safari, the price will likely be higher than if you used IE or Edge. I've got to start a study on this. I'm sure if I could prove with enough evidence that they overcharge some customers over others, I could bring some kind of class action suit against them.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Duplicolor primer works well but goes on 'thin' .
I just finished shooting primer on a rocket; used SEM Primer Surfacer for the first coat, sanded with 400 grit then shot a coat of Duplicolor white primer and sanded with 600 grit.
View attachment 532317
This is my go-to for the SECOND coat. I use Duplicolor FILLER for the 1st coat, which is quite effective at filling tube spirals. It goes on thick. Then sand thoroughly - it sands quickly, not much elbow grease required. Then the Duplicolor white sandable primer as above. Both of these products dry very fast. Can do all of the needed priming coats in an hour.

Hans.

Dane Ronnow

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are problems using Duplicolor white sandable on top of Krylon 2-in-1 gray? (Two coats of Krylon to fill, then one coat of Duplicolor to finish.)

Krylon.JPG Duplicolor.JPG

SkyFire

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are problems using Duplicolor white sandable on top of Krylon 2-in-1 gray? (Two coats of Krylon to fill, then one coat of Duplicolor to finish.)

View attachment 533133 View attachment 533132

Dane Ronnow

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@SkyFire -- Thanks. That answers my question—never put enamel under lacquer. I guess the money I saved on buying Krylon 2-in-1 gray filler from Walmart ($6.43/can) will help offset the outrageously high price of Krylon white sandable on Amazon ($15.90/can).

SkyFire

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@SkyFire -- Thanks. That answers my question—never put enamel under lacquer. I guess the money I saved on buying Krylon 2-in-1 gray filler from Walmart ($6.43/can) will help offset the outrageously high price of Krylon white sandable on Amazon ($15.90/can).
Generally speaking that's true; never put lacquer over enamel.
However, there are exceptions to every rule.
Testors 'Wet Look Clear' can effectively be sprayed over enamel (it's low in solvents), and is an excellent high gloss clear, albeit expensive.
Wet look clear.jpg

SkyFire

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I used Krylon and Duplicolor, it would be lacquer under enamel. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Makes all the difference in the world!
Lacquer paint has 'hotter' solvents than enamel. Spraying lacquer over enamel will cause the enamel to dissolve, bubble, and other undesirable effects.
Spraying enamel over lacquer should be fine provided the lacquer has cured and all the solvents have 'off gassed'.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon's dirty little secret is that anything you buy from them on a regular basis, they raise the price on you, and just you. I have gone to Amazon's site from a computer that has no account, and priced something, and then went to buy it from my phone which is linked to my account, and it was $2 more on my phone, even though I was looking at the PC price which was $2 less.

They even charge Macintosh users more than Windows users based on the browser name. If you go in using Safari, the price will likely be higher than if you used IE or Edge. I've got to start a study on this. I'm sure if I could prove with enough evidence that they overcharge some customers over others, I could bring some kind of class action suit against them.
You should start a thread on this and request participation my members here. I would participate as time allows. Maybe ask people to add a specific product to their cart at a specific time, and report back the price, platform/browser/location in US.

I buy a lot from Amazon over various app/browser modes and never noticed these shenanigans, but it doesn't really surprise me.

seabeeadp

Reaction score

As a Cyber Security/IT guy now by trade, this is a BS practice but don’t doubt it is happening.

without knowing all the details, you can use the browser on phone vice amazon app. (DO NOT USE CHROME BROWERS OR APPS for anything). caps intended. Google isn’t ur friend.

Some apps like to “trust” the device you have and will recognize it. you have to consent to this.

depending on whether using an iphone or android, varies on security settings.

i would recommend installing DuckDuckgo app, Firefox, Opera and Brave for browsers. i primary used Brave or Opera and search with duckduckgo.

you should be able to clear the cookies and cache and also disown ur account to the devices. don’t stay “loggged on all the time.

If Amazon is doing this - they should be challenged and if no response- report to ic3.gov and your state ftc board (most states have something to protect online cyber stuff

let me know how ya make out. inexcusable to be doing this.

Latest posts