Recommendation on login names

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Look at your login name! If it is your full name, I recommend you consider asking us to change it. This is a security risk.

If you want another login name, send me a PM with your full name, email address, and the new login name.

Chuck, you might want to remove your name from your signature as well.

Also a good idea to scrub the image data (location, etc) from the photos people post as well.

Why, in my day, we put our name, address and phone number in the white pages and published it!

Location tags in photos are a huge concern, especially if it is pics of your kids or valuables.

What's this all about? Something happen here on TRF? Hacked???

I know when we take photo's of kids at a model rocketry build and fly event, we have to ask the kids without parental permission to turn around and face the opposite direction from the camera.

I am not really worried about it, but if you put it in your login name, it is harder to remove. I actually have to do it for you.

FWIW I finally found a way to remember login names and passwords. I use information from my profession to construct passwords, information I've used for almost half a century, and it's stuff I can't forget until I forget my chemistry. If there are terms, especially esoteric ones that no one could guess and that include numbers, caps, even symbols, in your profession, you've got some good passwords and possibly logins.

Best -- Terry
...and anyone who tries logging in with the correct spelling of 'professor' is gonna have a bad time... :)

Why, in my day, we put our name, address and phone number in the white pages and published it!

My oldest sister's college professors would post the class final grades outside their door, but in order to "preserve the student's privacy"...... they were listed by social security number instead of some other more recognizable identifier. :D

It is only an offer. If you want some privacy, we can change it.

My oldest sister's college professors would post the class final grades outside their door, but in order to "preserve the student's privacy"...... they were listed by social security number instead of some other more recognizable identifier. :D

Back in the day I had my more valuable possessions engraved with my social security number so I could describe them if they were stolen.

Two things get my goat: Stolen identity and robo callers. Think both should be sterilized with a wooden spoon.

One thing that can help with passwords is use an alphabetized list of something. All websites that start with the letter "X" use this password, "Y" use that password. You can then separate them by a number. Sure someone might be able to hack your account on one website, but I think they'd have a hard time with getting all the 25 other passwords (and all the other possible numbers).

I have a mental password algorithm as well, that I have used for years for non-critical sites like this one. But all "important" sites, like financial, insurance, legal, government, etc., get nice big unique ugly machine-generated passwords, which 1Password keeps track of. It is far more secure than any manual method.

FWIW I finally found a way to remember login names and passwords. I use information from my profession to construct passwords, information I've used for almost half a century, and it's stuff I can't forget until I forget my chemistry. If there are terms, especially esoteric ones that no one could guess and that include numbers, caps, even symbols, in your profession, you've got some good passwords and possibly logins.

Best -- Terry
...and anyone who tries logging in with the correct spelling of 'professor' is gonna have a bad time... :)
aw man don't get me started on passwords. I have so many at work for so many different applications and website all work related and having to change them every 90 days is just insane. I use poker hands aces full then kings full etc or some variation but not on here

I am pretty open. I have two different businesses online that list my business address with my name. And, as far as I know, there are 6 people with my first and last name. Three of us in the US, one back in the mother country (Scotland), one in Australia and one travelling in the military. Three of them are my friends on FaceBook and it confuses the heck out of people when we start liking each other's posts. I'm not hard to find on the internet.

As for passwords, I typically use a base password for all sites and make them unique for the site, like this: xx(base password)y. The xx will be a combo that I identify with the site. For instance, I might use this for Disney.com: MM12password%. 12password representing the base password. MM because I think of Mickey Mouse when I think Disney. For this site, I might use BR12password%. BR for Big Rockets. I change the final character every time that I change the password. And before someone thinks that I am giving a formula for cracking my password, I NEVER use a dictionary word for the base. And I try to change my password frequently. Besides, I don't think that much effort is given anymore towards breaking in to someone's account by cracking their password. Most everyone is trying to crack a business or organization where they can steal millions of passwords, not one or two at a time. I am more concerned about things like Facebook selling our photos to the government for facial recognition software. Privacy is a dead issue in the US. It doesn't exist.

If you want another login name, send me a PM with your full name, email address, home address, social security number, bank routing number, savings account number, two credit card numbers and expiration dates, cell phone number and provider, employer name and address, and the new login name.

Nice try!!!

Back