Recommendation for first dual-deployment rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murrill

Reaction score
Having obtained my L1 back in the spring, I'm beginning to think about altimeters and dual-deployment. I've seen lots of threads about altimeters, but couldn't find anything specifically about what rocket would be a good choice for a first attempt at d/d. BSD's web site touts the Little John as a good first d/d rocket. Anyone know anything about this kit? Other recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
John

I own and did use a BSD Little John for my L2 cert flight with great success ! It comes with well written instructions for a easy build and the nice thing is that the rocket has enough coupler with it to make the rocket double walled. Flys very stable and takes much abuse very easily. I did fiberglass the rocket with one layer of 6oz and one layer of 2oz and also fiberglassed the fins inside the fincan. I would definately highly recommend the kit for a L2 attempt. The only deviance I made from the stock build instructions was I used 3/4" Pvc end caps for holding my ejection charges.

I've been doing most of my dual deploys with either my BSD Thor or a stretched BSD Horizon.. both have done well and are easy to work with....

BSD makes a stretched Horizon kit for dual deploy, the Horizon 54, as well as the Thor they both come setup with good sized electronics bays...

It's still a way's away (in the years category), but I'm hoping to use a BSD Thor as my L2 rocket and making it dual deploy. From what I've read, it's pretty easy to do with that kit.

Loopy

I've got a lot of questions about this, too. I'm building a MiniBBX and want to put an electronics bay in there. And I'm planning the same thing for my L2: a Thor built for dual deploy (won't use an altimeter to certify, though). Mark Saunders email'ed the other day and he is working on clearing backorders now. I figure on ordering the kit in Sept.

Any suggestions on how to modify that middle payload bay for electronics? I guess right off the bat only the aft bulkhead should be epoxied in, and secure the forward one with allthread. I was also figuring on picking up a couple of the PML ejection charge canisters to mount on each bulkhead.

Some more questions:

Vent holes: how big and how many?
Wiring holes: same thing.
If the charge holder's mounted to the bulkhead, then what issues do I have with protecting the alt bay from ejection residue?

I also got my L1 this spring on a PML Tethys. And like you, the itch started for altimeters, dual deploy, L2..........

I got a Transolve P6K. If you can board solder - it's the cheapest way to get a solid altimeter. It has low resolution for altitude reporting (100 foot increments). But I like it. I would not recommend it if you are new to electronics. I made mine in about an hour and it works great.

For my L2 attempt - I modified my Tethys to Dual Deploy. I got an 18" payload kit from PML and built the altimeter bay into the supplied coupler. Drogue is deployed with motor eject from the main body and the main is with the P6K in the new payload section. I also used the PML ejection holders with the base glued to the top of the coupler/altimeter bay bulkhead. Works great!
I tested the altimeter by putting the main into the drogue bay and attaching a small chute to the NC and NOT tethering the NC to anything and using a smaller engine. (1000' foot predicted altitude) If the nose got blasted out of the payload bay @ 600' (altimeter main deploy setting) and returned on its own chute, my P6K worked. If it stayed in the payload section and returned with the rest of the rocket under the main, I screwed it up somehow. Either way my whole rocket was safe however.
My test was on a VERY windy day and I had huge drift on my 1000' flight enough to get it caught up in a distant tree. But my P6K worked perfectly. Nose popped out on que and returned nicely.
I never attempted my L2 flight due to the winds. I plan on using a Pro38 5 Grain. Hopefully mid August !!!!
Good Luck on whatever you try.

Chilly: I use 3 - 3/16th holes in the PML altimeter bay for altimeter readings and I use 1/8th holes for the wires. Once you run the wires through the bulkhead then just press some soft clay into the holes and around the wire. Works just fine everytime.

As far as modifying the Thor for the altimeter bay is simple. Really no modification necessary. Just put a PML altimeter bay between the drogue and main bay tubes and use short screws to mount the bays together and your in business.

I found that using a PML kit with CPR was a great (and easy) way to get into dual deploy. My L1 rocket was a PML MiniBBX with CPR, I was itching to do a 2 stage so the following launch it went up on the Terrier booster. L2 was a PML Eclipse with CPR (still going strong).

Originally posted by Chilly

Any suggestions on how to modify that middle payload bay for electronics? I guess right off the bat only the aft bulkhead should be epoxied in, and secure the forward one with allthread. I was also figuring on picking up a couple of the PML ejection charge canisters to mount on each bulkhead.

Some more questions:

Vent holes: how big and how many?
Wiring holes: same thing.
If the charge holder's mounted to the bulkhead, then what issues do I have with protecting the alt bay from ejection residue?

I typed this once yesterdayand lost it when my cable service quit.

The problem with the Mini BBx is the size of the tubes. If you epoxy the coupler/bay or the bulkhead in it will be impossible to prep the rocket. Check ROL InfoCentral, I beleive the dual deployment article showed a removable bay. Use bolts and T-nuts to secure it to the payload section of the rocket.

Vent holes? manufactures recomendation. Usually 1-2, make sure they are clean holes.

Wiring holes? I like binding posts or some type of disconnect on the bulkhead. Quicker than fishing it thru the bulkhead and sealing the hole. This also answers #3

I am in Columbus and since we are not launching until Sept. contact me offline to get my local number if you wish. Sometimes ideas fly out faster than you can type.

The Extreme Performer (with dual deployment version) is a great choice for a simple and cheap rocket. I paid $74 for a 4" x 79"rocket. I put a Missile Works RRC2 altimeter in it. I've flown it four times this year. Two "I's" and two "J's". It's worked everytime. See photo.

Back to the original post. I agree with Thrasher, PE performer is a great rocket for the price. I have flown mine on I's and J's and have recently stretched it another 16" and will be flying it on K's and maybe one of the new 54mm L's. Great for a rocket I have less than $100 in. The PML CPR3000 kits are nice but can get expensive. I do have a Sudden Rush that I have flown alot but now I prefer to use my own DD design.

Got to add my vote for the PE Extreme Performer. Great kit for the money. Hope to fly mine at our Aug launch.

Al
BRS VP

I just wanted to post some pics of my recently completed 3" diameter dual deploy sled. I've built a 1.5" dual deploy setup prior to this and now I think I've ironed out most of the kinks in the design. I hope to fly it at a PARA launch tomorrow. I'll tell you how it goes.

Back