Recommend a D engine model?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Womblegs....I think your carpet is the same as mine..great minds....:)

I displays (store) my rockets using these racks....

To explain a little more...
These racks are just a piece of lumber, the round one is 18 inches round with pegs place and glued in holes.
The pegs are sized for the rockets I intend to store.
A, B, C size is on one rack, the Aerotech E, F and G may be on the big round one. Painted flat black so the rockets get the attention not the rack.

I wanted to show you one of the smaller versions....

The Deuce stands a little crooked, oh well......

Originally posted by TheRadiator
I'll throw my vote to the LOC Onyx. Lots of fun to watch on a D12-3! :D

You can fly a Onyx on a D12-3? I didn't build mine, I got it off Ebay already built, but mine has a 29mm motor mount...... I fly it on F25's, F50's and G35's!!!

Yeah, you can fly it on a D12-3. It's real slow, and runs around 100 feet or less. It's a real struggle for a D12 to move that thing. It still struggles under E15 power. I've yet to put it on an Estes E9.

Originally posted by airforce
The Deuce stands a little crooked, oh well......

Mine does that too - I reckon its pretty cool 'cos it makes the Deuce stand out, from the other rockets in my fleet, even more than usual! :cool:

That Python looks cool n'all - is that the new Estes one? ... Might have to get an order in to Deepsky for one of those!

Cyder,
Yep, it's the new Estes one. I have numerous of all the new military ones but I chose that one to do first....

I couldn't find a center hole in the Deuce so I just used one of those crooked ones.....:D

The best single D motor flight i've seen so far is the estes blackbrant.Its a great looking kit aswell:)

arthur.....I think he made mention of a nice slow lift off.....theres nothing slow about a BBII going off using a 'D'. I use the D12-7 and that thing is gone.:D :cool:

Estes Saturn V is still available at quite a few outlets (ehobbies, ebay, etc). It's big, only goes about 100' up, and there is no denying how impressive it looks.
It is expensive, but it is also no longer in production, so you have to give a nod to the idea that it is an instant classic.

If you could find one...My first "D" model was the Estes "Cherokee D". Man what a blast!!! Easy to build and a great flyer...flew that first one dozens of times...Actually, if you find one let me know where...LOL

For Low and slow on a D, I would go with the Big Daddy. Very visible, great flights on a D. For a bit more height, I like the Blue Ninja. I just built an Estes Stormcaster, but haven't flown it yet. The stormcaster is basically the same size as a Blue Ninja, but lighter and therefore should be higher and faster. Can't wait for the paint to dry so I can fly it.

slim

Going with a kinda Rhino.
Got a nice NC, but its an inch too short. Adding an extra inch to the BT. Using 3 fins instread of 4, just like the look of 3 fins (plus don't have enough balsa for 4!). Putting in a 24mm engine mount.

I recommend the Estes Super Big Bertha if you can find one. It is the epitome of "low and slow" on a D engine. For an extra "kick" you can modify it easily to fly on Estes E or Aerotech F21 engines. I have also flown mine on Aerotech 24mm RMS motors - very cool!

First D power Humm!
For a Stock kit I'd have to go with the Mean Machine, or the Big Daddy.
If you have the option of building a Clone, I'd go with the Goblin, Super Vega or Super Big Bertha in that order:) Well maybe leaning a little foward the Super Vega, A very nice flyer on a D12.

That ATM rocket is awsome, I love the little aliens

one of my fravorite D models is the Estes Eliminator. Flies nice on C11s and E9s as well

The Estes Phoenix is a good kit. It normally uses one 24mm engine but you can modify it to take 3.

Latest posts

Back