Recently finished Fliskits...!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navajo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently finished three fliskits...tres, praetor and the cheetah. I had ordered these fine kits from Jim Flis several weeks ago...(been kinda busy with work) and let me say that ordering and shipping to Australia was no hassle fo Fliskits...they arrived some 8 days later.

I had great fun building them, and after only building estes and quest rockets prior, I realised what quality kits were all about...Now that's to take anything away from estes and quest....it's just that this was the first time I had seen a "real" bals nose cone etc...

I was going to paint the tres all blue with the aussie flag on the fins, but during construction saw a pic of the old centuri laserx....needless to say, the tres paint scheme was definitely influenced by the laser...see what you think?

one more pic....with the redstone, sentry and echostar

oh man, i love ALL of those paint jobs. The Tres looks wonderful! :)

Thank you for the pix and the kind words about our kits and company. Glad you are enjoying them. You are SURE to enjoy the reaction you get on the field with all of these great kits :)

Could you email me some close up high resolution pictures of each of those kits for our web site? thanx!

jim

I would be honoured Jim....consider it done!

anyhoo here are a few more pics for you to look at!

PS Jim....if you remember you shipped us two tres's....my son will have his finished next week in time for a Tripoli Australia launch on the 17th and 18th of this month (just a couple of weeks ...yippee).

We plan to drag race the two tres's for what i hope will still be the inaugrual treslaunch down under! will definitely post lots of pics from that launch!

Oh and Sandman...ty for the comment.....I have seen your rocket pics and consider you to be an excellent builder and finsisher, so I take it as a definite compliment.

sorry...dont know what happened to the wrap detail pic...its the same as the one on the chair.

anyhoo here is the real wrap pic..:confused:

Nice rockets Navajo,

I especially like your Tres paint job, with the all red top section.

Thanks for your kind comments everyone.....check back after the 18th of this month when I will post launch pics of two tres's drag racing at a Tripoli Australia launch. Of course the cheetah and praetor will be flying as well...and i will get pics of these taking off and in flight as well.

"....There is nothing more useless than the launch rod behind you and the altitude above you..."

Navajo

VERY cool photos there, of an amazingly painted Tres. An old classic mixed with a modern classic.

Have you thought about putting some dowel 'guns'/finpods on the end of the bottom fins, like the original Laser X? That would be the proverbial icing on the cake. :D

The only thing you can do to top the photos you've posted, is to post the launch photos. The drag race photo is one to look forward to! :cool:

Just recieved two kits from fliskits, my first non estes or quest kits also. Got the Tres and Acme Spitfire. I agree, the kits are nicer than the "other two". Cant wait to see the Acme fly. I like different rockets and this one surely is that. I downloaded the free skins and am going to have my 6 year old grandson decorate them, should make it more interesting when it is finished.
I think Fliskits year sets ( all rockets introduced in a certain year for one discount price) are a really good idea.
My first rocket, way back in the early 70's was the Estes Bluebird Zero. It came to rest in a swamp on its third flight and by the time I could retrieve it, all that was left usable was the nosecone. I saved the nosecone and just lately found the assembly directions so I ordered all the parts I needed from Flis and will be building a reproduction of my very first rocket. I am going to try making decals on my printer for it, but was wondering if anyone knows of somwhere a person could find oot of print decal sheets for old rockets?
Thanks
Dan

Originally posted by pleiade
Just recieved two kits from fliskits, my first non estes or quest kits also. Got the Tres and Acme Spitfire. I agree, the kits are nicer than the "other two". Cant wait to see the Acme fly. I like different rockets and this one surely is that. I downloaded the free skins and am going to have my 6 year old grandson decorate them, should make it more interesting when it is finished.
I think Fliskits year sets ( all rockets introduced in a certain year for one discount price) are a really good idea.
My first rocket, way back in the early 70's was the Estes Bluebird Zero. It came to rest in a swamp on its third flight and by the time I could retrieve it, all that was left usable was the nosecone. I saved the nosecone and just lately found the assembly directions so I ordered all the parts I needed from Flis and will be building a reproduction of my very first rocket. I am going to try making decals on my printer for it, but was wondering if anyone knows of somwhere a person could find oot of print decal sheets for old rockets?
Thanks
Dan

I'd first try our very own Astronboy for your decals. Particularly the Blue Bird Zero. He has them already drawn and available as a waterslide for $5.

The problem with making your own BBZ decal is that large, white "Blue Bird Zero" emblem on the blue portion of the rocket. Your standard ink jet or laser printer won't print "white." Astronboy (and Tango Papa for that matter) use ALPS printers which print the white ink.

Check out this web page for his company, Excelsior Rocketry: https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id1.html

Scroll down to the bottom of that page for a sample of his BBZ decal.

Here's a pic of the BBZ that I made using his decals.

Great job on the Tres. It's such a mean looking rocket anyway, but that paint job looks great on it!

Navajo,

Great job on those rockets. What made you decide to paint the Cheetah yellow/gold? I'm curious because I chose that color too, and then did the write up with the picture for EMRR. I swear that is about the fourth rocket I've seen painted just like mine! There are some copycat Overdrive's out there Ive seen, too.
Maybe I'm finally a trendsetter? :D

I've got to build my Tres soon. That is one cool looking rocket. The Laser X theme is great.

Russ
NAR 81741 L1

thanks nomo and Rocket_Russ for your comments.

Russ I am guilty as charged...LOL. I saw the cheetah on EMRR and could not think of a better colour than what i saw on the pic. Ithought orange, red etc....but my mind kept thinking about that relly cool lokking cheetah on EMRR.....the rest is history.

Consider yourself a trendsetter......right now i,m in a kinda retro mood (as you can tell by the tres)....there are so many cool looking 60,s and 70,s kits and paint schemes.

navajo

Navajo: VERY nice rockets. They are very inspiring!!

The Tres is on my 'short list' of builds. I am still slogging through the winter's backlog of not-yet -painted rockets, but I am making progress every day!!

Thanks for the kind words Fore Check.

If you have an idea, and need a special decal, send me an email. Excelsior specializes in custom decal designs, and I am sure we can set you up!!

Fred
Excelsior Rocketry

I told you that there were two on the build did'nt I? Anyway My son is building his....( gotta get it ready for the Tripoli launch here in Australia the week after next)

here is a pic of a pair of tres's....will post more of the finished painted rocket. Maye even pics of the paint job in progress (we are thinking the same paint job either in blue or black instead of red?)

navajo

Latest posts

Back