Rec.Models.Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
I gravitated here having slowly transitioning from annoyed to amused to simply bored with the juvenile behavior on R.M.R

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could honestly decipher who the players are, and what their relationships are. Seems some of them go back a ways to some really unfortunate instances.

I ask, because that was the first place I originally went for information and found if you post a technical question you might see a half dozen or so answers, and most are pretty good.

Unfortunately if some guy named Jerry Irvine gets in it, the whole thing turns into a barking match.

I am mostly morbidly curious as to how the situation became so ugly.

The chaos of r.m.r is one of the reasons TRF was set up.

Every now and then, after a few pints down the Pub, I fire up my newsreader, and look at r.m.r - for a laugh! :D Its probably the best soap opera ever! :D - I do hate the boring bits where they stay on-topic, though! ;) LOL :D

There are decent rocketry-related newsgroups out there; uk.tech.rocketry is worth the occasional look (if you're a Brit).

Hospital,

Probably the best poeple to ask you question actually reside in r.m.r. , so you may wish to open that can of worms there. It wouldnt' be very productive here to post ill of another group; The Rocketry Forum is all about being productive, building, flying and talking rocket shop, rather than cutting on a group or specific person.

This could easily become very political...I would ask you go to the source on this one.

Good luck and Welcome to The Rocketry Forum...the best bunch of rocketeers on the web, bar none! :)

Carl

:eek:

Yeah Hospital its nice here I went to RMR once. I must say the format of the page here is wayyyy better and that makes it much easier as well as the lack of political discussion which, one can see, is counterproductive

By the way I see you are a member of CATO. I have been meaning to get down to a launch, maybe I will see you there

I'll give you the nickle tour of rmr and the *reason* it is the way it is...

RMR started a long, LONG time ago. **LONG** befor the World Wide Web existed and frankly, quite a long while befor even the *internet* existed, first making it appearance on what was called ARPAnet

So, it is, without question, the oldest such rocketry group in existance. Many of the folks there (Bob Kaplow, Jerry Irvine and such) have been there since the start.

RMR is the way it is *because* it is un-moderated. simple as that.

Many can't stand rmr and the main reason is that it is unmoderated. There are many who LOVE rmr and the main reason is that it is unmoderated.

different strokes for different folks.

i'll be hangin' round here :)

Hospital...
You need to put it behind you and really look at the format of this forum and the MATERIAL that's offered here. Your post I think is quite evident of just what happens in RMR. Here, I don't think it's who we are in as much as what we are. There are specific areas in this forum I think that make it a more constructive place to reside and share information, as opposed to having just a bullets placed all over...

As to why RMR it became so ugly...it's not important. The reason it's not important is that until some of it's members find some sort of happiness or closure or whatever, they will always...and i mean always, find fault with something or somebody and the bickering just keeps rolling on.
TRF seems to be more of a medium of learning and sharing than bickering and that's how it should and hopefully will stay. Don't get me wrong, I think RMR has it's place and some of us might haunt both places.

Welcome to the forum...just the best folks in the best hobby!

I used to read and post on RMR. I got tired of reading through some of the long threads, flaming posts and spam. None of my ISP's ever did justice to their alt.binaries site, which is also loaded with pictures of stuff that isn't rockets. This forum is much more "graphically friendly" and easy to get to especially at remote locations. I intend to stay with TRF.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Hey Folks

Don't get me wrong. I was just curious as most all of the people I know in rocketry are helpful and friendly. I was puzzled at the dichotomy between RMR and TRF.

Frankly I find the juvenile behavior on RMR amusing and bordering on silly. As my user name indicates, I work in healthcare and I see more adult behavior in our child and adolescent psych units....

Ah well, I plan to hang out here with occasional forays into RMR to see if there are other bewildered souls who I can steer here for some productive dialog.

Happy New Year!

Al

RMR is not about rockets. It is about bashing people and bashing rocket clubs very little information on rockets can be found on RMR. That said, it is fun to read from time to time. I have learned alot about different people and lots of hearsay on any number of topics. It should be REC.MODEL.ROCKET.COMDEY

Scott

you could compare (RMR) News groups,to the subway wall (of forums)

It's not moderated in any way,and anyone can write(spray) anything they want to in there, and If your offended easily (like me)
don't hang around there too much

If you look at it that way ,it's a little easier to read
It's a shame you have to wade thru so much to get anything from it tho...

I'd enjoy seeing more of the core members of RMR post in here now and than

I still post occasionally...very occasionally. What I do find quite useful is searching the rmr archives on Google. Most everything has been discussed there at one time or another.

Guys, we are beginning to get carried away with the slams...let r.m.r. go and be what it is please. I am afraid this thread is becoming more like who the topic is about...and that is not a good thing.

Thanks,

Carl

Originally posted by stymye
I'd enjoy seeing more of the core members of RMR post in here now and than
True....

Theres alot of wisdom in the heads of the core RMR people.

Back