Rebuilding a 4" cardboard DX3. What would you do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tOD

Sinking in the quicksand of HPR
Reaction score
I lost part of my Madcow DX3 due to carelessness. I have the original booster section and motor mount. I'm building the new AV bay as original. Bought a new AV kit and building new eggtimer electronics. Might get a Mach1 nosecone bay for an Eggfinder Mini.
My question is: I ordered a new payload section, which is sold as a 31" piece, the original length was 22". Should I just go with the full length piece or cut it? I suppose it will change the CP somewhat, but the extra space would allow for a longer shock cord and bigger chute. I haven't modified the Rocksim file to see what changes but I can't see it creating an unstable configuration. I'd just like to not end up with a 9"X4" piece of tube I probably wouldn't use

I would use the 31".
(Familiar with it as I have several variations of the carboard DX3).

I have the same rocket in original configuration, with 25 feet of TN recovery harness, nomex sleeve, 48" parachute, and nomex burrito wrap....and still have plenty of room in the upper section.

Lengthning the top section won't really hurt anything other than altitude a tiny bit, but that cut off piece might make a great repair section one day.

I have the same rocket in original configuration, with 25 feet of TN recovery harness, nomex sleeve, 48" parachute, and nomex burrito wrap....and still have plenty of room in the upper section.

Lengthning the top section won't really hurt anything other than altitude a tiny bit, but that cut off piece might make a great repair section one day.
True. But I usually lose the whole thing😂

tOD, cut it and save the chunk of tubing. I KNOW you will use it someday. I built a whole rocket out of chunks like that. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back