REBAR build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Like I posted in the Majestic kitbash thread, I have been away for quite some time now. Life often intervenes and there just hasn't been much time to get to the field and fly anything. I have, however, built a few things during that time and thought I would post some pics.

This one is scratch built from Giant Leap tubes and nose cone. It has a 29mm mount that is long enough to hold anything that will fit. The fins are built up from thin ply and balsa, the tube wraps and nozzle are rolled from 1/64" plywood. The thing is built like a tank and is pretty heavy, but it certainly will hold up to our desert launch sites.

The idea behind the model was to make something that looked like it was a follow-on to the old Estes Saros. Imagine the Saros was a real rocket and that this is the "uprated" version built to lift heavier payloads higher by using two of the original Saros first stages as the first and second stage. I have been calling it the "Saros 2A".

I wanted to use this build to play with scale detailing techniques. The wraps that are supposed to look like the joint between stages are 1/64" plywood with rivets made from drops of thick CA glue. The rivets/screws on the fin can and launch guides were done the same way. The other rivet/screw details were pressed into the primer coat or metal foil with pieces of brass tubing. I am pretty happy with the results!

Aside from being a bit overbuilt (Intentionally, I must admit...), the only problem with this one is that it hasn't flow yet. I'm looking to fix that this fall!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

IMG_20160925_134411[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134426[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134448[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134500[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134531[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134604[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134625[1].jpg

IMG_20160925_134632[1].jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Like I posted in the Majestic kitbash thread, I have been away for quite some time now. Life often intervenes and there just hasn't been much time to get to the field and fly anything. I have, however, built a few things during that time and thought I would post some pics.

This one is scratch built from Giant Leap tubes and nose cone. It has a 29mm mount that is long enough to hold anything that will fit. The fins are built up from thin ply and balsa, the tube wraps and nozzle are rolled from 1/64" plywood. The thing is built like a tank and is pretty heavy, but it certainly will hold up to our desert launch sites.

The idea behind the model was to make something that looked like it was a follow-on to the old Estes Saros. Imagine the Saros was a real rocket and that this is the "uprated" version built to lift heavier payloads higher by using two of the original Saros first stages as the first and second stage. I have been calling it the "Saros 2A".

I wanted to use this build to play with scale detailing techniques. The wraps that are supposed to look like the joint between stages are 1/64" plywood with rivets made from drops of thick CA glue. The rivets/screws on the fin can and launch guides were done the same way. The other rivet/screw details were pressed into the primer coat or metal foil with pieces of brass tubing. I am pretty happy with the results!

Aside from being a bit overbuilt (Intentionally, I must admit...), the only problem with this one is that it hasn't flow yet. I'm looking to fix that this fall!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

That rocket has an exceptional waist. Off to look up the Saros!

Mega-props for harkening back to the Saros, part of my original long-lost fleet from the early 70's. The fin can was two plastic pieces, and I *think* the nose cone might have been as well. The nose cone had a fairly unique shape, I don't recall any other model ever using it, although it's certainly possible it was reused somewhere. The nose would be an interesting part of upscaling, could either get Sandman to turn one or build it up from three different sections. Do a build thread on that one and I guarantee you at least one subscriber! :)

May I asked how you did the plywood wrap around the BT? That seems like a pretty small bend radius for that stuff.

I'd think the Argent would make a good starting point to do a Saros.

EDIT: BTs on the Argent are just about right for a 2x upscale. Just have to figure out a nose. I'd probably make one out of a 2" to 38mm transition and a 38mm nose. Hell BMS might make one.

Last edited:
Mega-props for harkening back to the Saros, part of my original long-lost fleet from the early 70's. The fin can was two plastic pieces, and I *think* the nose cone might have been as well. The nose cone had a fairly unique shape, I don't recall any other model ever using it, although it's certainly possible it was reused somewhere. The nose would be an interesting part of upscaling, could either get Sandman to turn one or build it up from three different sections. Do a build thread on that one and I guarantee you at least one subscriber! :)

May I asked how you did the plywood wrap around the BT? That seems like a pretty small bend radius for that stuff.

Transition was two pieces as well according to the instructions I found online.

Hi Neil - The 1/64" ply is pretty flexible along one axis and extremely flexible along the other. Depending on how wide of a wrap you wanted to make, it would easily go around a BT-50 size tube, and probably around a BT-5 if you wet it first. I also use it for transitions on mid power rockets when I need something other than standard. Of course it is great for skinning built-up fins. If you laminate a few layers with the "grain"crossed it makes very stiff small fins and centering rings that can be half the thickness of standard ply for the same strength.

I drew up plans for a 4" upscale Saros, but they've wandered off somewhere and I'll need to do some digging. Most of the tubes were readily available and, as I recall, there were even some transitions that were pretty close. The nose cone was going to be three pieces, just like you said. It made for a pretty big rocket!

Tonimus, I really like the idea of starting with an Argus kit. It would certainly make it a much more manageable size than the 4" idea!

IMG_20160925_212020.jpg

IMG_20160925_211923.jpg

Back