Reaper Level 3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Reaper build is divided into 3 main sections (Booster, AV Bay, and Nosecone), with the Booster being subdivided into 5 subsections, the Tail Cone, Booster (with fore and aft extensions), and Drogue Payload Bay.

BOOSTER SECTION

Tail Cone:

TRF.100.Tail Cone.Drawing.Side View.png
TRF.108.Tail Cone.Composite.jpg
The motor retainer is a 75mm Giant Leap Slimline Retainer.

Last edited:
Drogue Parachute Payload Bay:

TRF.407.Drogue Bay.Composite.jpg
The foregoing is the construction of the coupler that connects the drogue parachute Payload bay to the Booster Section. The bay itself is a 12" airframe extension.

Last edited:
AV BAY SECTION

TRF.215.AV Bay.Lid.Nosecone.Composite.jpg
The upper lid is 4 layers of 1.5mm black G10 on the top and 1 layer of 1.5mm black G10 on the bottom.

TRF.220.AV Bay.Lid.Drogue.Composite.jpg
Primary Altimeter

TRF.236.AV Bay.Electronics.Proton.Composite.jpg
Shock Cords

Because the weight of the rocket is only about 15 lbs., 1/4" Kevlar shock cord material is adequate.
TRF.240AV Bay.SC.Drawing.png
TRF.247.AV Bay.SC.Composite.jpg

TRF.235.AV Bay.Electronics.Composite.jpg

Last edited:
Build complete, except for the avionics...

Reaper.jpg
Anticipated flight characteristics...

Flight Characteristics.TRF.jpg
Flight Characteristics.Graph.TRF.jpg
On to ejection charge testing... first two videos are with empty bays... the second two videos are with parachutes loaded.

Attachments

• Reaper.Ground Test. Drogue.mp4
    847.4 KB
  • Reaper.Ground Test. Nosecone.mp4
    944 KB
  • Ground Test.Drogue.2.0gm.mp4
    1.3 MB
  • Ground Test.Main.1.8gm.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • Fruity Chute.Drogue.Parachute Descent Rate Calculator _ Fruity Chutes.pdf
    312.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Fruity Chute.Drogue.Main.Parachute Descent Rate Calculator _ Fruity Chutes.pdf
    299.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Regrettably, though the flight was perfectly straight without any deflection, and the drogue deployed perfectly, the HED main refused to come out of the nosecone. A few lessons learned. Re-Reaper will NOT have head-end deployment.

I did learn a few things about temperature, fiberglass tubing, and ejection charges. When the rocket was put on the pad, its internal temperature was 102 degrees, at launch it was 113 degrees, and at apogee it was less than 85 degrees. Those temperature swings can have a significant effects on the separation at ejection, as well as the amount of the ejection charge needed.

I learned something else useful too. Powdered graphite lubricant is not just for pinewood derby wheels, it works to lubricate fiberglass couplers (and other mating surfaces) too. Just wished I had known that before my flight as well.

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that. Lessons learned are great, but that still hurts. Looking forward to Re-Reaper!

Regrettably, though the flight was perfectly straight without any deflection, and the drogue deployed perfectly, the HED main refused to come out of the nosecone. A few lessons learned. Re-Reaper will NOT have head-end deployment.

I did learn a few things about temperature, fiberglass tubing, and ejection charges. When the rocket was put on the pad, its internal temperature was 102 degrees, at launch it was 113 degrees, and at apogee it was less than 85 degrees. Those temperature swings can have a significant effects on the separation at ejection, as well as the amount of the ejection charge needed.

I learned something else useful too. Powdered graphite lubricant is not just for pinewood derby wheels, it works to lubricate fiberglass couplers (and other mating surfaces) too. Just wished I had known that before my flight as well.
How did you pack the main chute area? Plus where was main chute attached?

Graphite is great, if not messy.

Ground molybdenum disulfide works pretty well to dry lubricate cardboard, also. I still have a couple vials of this "mess in a bottle" obtained for Pinewood derbies that I use sparingly.

Here is the post-crash restoration... damage and repair...

Damage to one fin:
01.01.01.Fin.Tail.jpg
01.01.02.Fin.Tail.jpg
01.01.03.Fin.Tail.jpg
Rail guide repair [cosmetic]:
02.01.01.RailGuide.jpg
Significant airframe damage:
03.01.01.Tube.jpg
03.01.02.Tube.jpg
Nose cone [complete replacement]:
04.01.01.NoseCone.jpg
Ready to fly... again.
05.01.01.Complete.jpg
Now, off to Oktoberfest with Tripoli Las Vegas... hoping anyway.

Attachments

• 09.01.Ground Test.2021-09-25.Drogue.webm
    2.7 MB
  • 09.02.Ground Test.2021-09-25.Main.webm
    2.9 MB
Last edited:
Back