Really, really slippery here

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
A guy and his wife got stuck when they slid off the gravel road that is the only access for the 11 houses/lots where we live. It was just past our property. When we realized that they were stuck we walked down and made sure that they were OK. Then we walked over to the neighbor that had a tractor to see if they would help pull them out. We rang the doorbell and their yappy little dog went nuts. I heard her say something to the dog after we rang the doorbell, but she never answered the door. So we walked over to the next neighbor. He has a smaller tractor and we made several attempts to pull the guy out, but he kept sliding further off the road. He finally called AAA.

An hour or so later a tow truck drove by. A few minutes later the tow truck drives back, but in reverse... and I never see him go back. Hmmm... A few minutes later I look out the front door and the tow truck is in our driveway. Ten minutes later he is still there. I walk down there and he tells me he is waiting for his boss to come and pull him out. His front tires slid off the far side of the road and he is stuck. Not only is he stuck, he is blocking the road as his rear end is in our driveway. So the tow truck needs a tow truck.

I took some water, grapes, cookies and chips down the people who are stuck.

Attachments

• 20210210_182702.jpg
    20210210_182702.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 132

boatgeek

Reaction score
We're supposed to get snow here from tomorrow through the weekend. Somewhere between a dusting and 10", depending on the exact track of the weather system. 10" will bring the city to its knees* for a few days until it melts. I suppose there's worse things than being snowed in on Valentine's Day!

* Not quite fair. Arterials will be salted/plowed/sanded if you can get there. There's no plowing on side streets since snow rarely lasts more than a couple of days here.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah they called off school and I'm only kind of essential at work, so I've been hanging out with the boys since the missus works out of her office at the house.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OMG, OMG. I live in MN and wish we were going to get that much snow. Can't even ride the sled over a plowed field on a trail here :(

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We had a blizzard back about 1970 where I lived in Michigan. Pinckney to be exact. Snowmobiles were the only thing moving. The drifts were 6' and higher across the main road. A county plow tried to open the road but couldn't get up the hill by our house. So he backed up in our driveway and go stuck. He stayed with us for two days until the county sent a grader with a V plow to get him. Now I'm in Nevada. 60 today.

heada

Reaction score
I got stuck in the snow one year. I vowed never to let that happen again and it hasn't since. Instead I pull people out when I see them in need.

We got only an inch today so no recoveries needed but our high temps this weekend are supposed to be single digits with lows in the negatives, all before wind-chill. There'll be alot of dead batteries that need jumping.

tsmith1315

Reaction score
LOL Dave, those big tires are expensive!

Different kind of slippery here, not cold enough for snow or ice.

Sunday at midnight, my son took the dog out for a walk and saw a vehicle out stopped in the path that goes through the field across the road. I could see the reverse lights going on and off, so they were stuck and trying to rock it out of a rut. No surprise, it's rained 10" here in the last few weeks. Square field, better part of a mile, and they made it pretty much to the geometric center.

I wasn't going to walk ¾ mile around through the mud, at midnight, in 41 degree weather, just to tell them I have nothing better than a minivan to offer and walk back home. I gave it a while to see if anyone else was coming, and then called the sheriff's office to let them know there was someone that needed help. We watched and waited for quite a while... saw the sheriff's truck pull up... the stuck vehicle flashed their lights and honked to signal for help. My son was happy they had gotten help and we went back inside. By about 2:15 AM, there was another truck and a tow truck. A ride and a tow! All good, off to bed.

9:00 the next AM, my wife calls me at work and says there are Sheriff/GBI vehicles all around combing the edge of the woods, a helicopter circling and the Sheriff's office had a Wanted posting on their FB page. It seems the person was wanted in other areas, and dove into a 40 degree pond at 3:00 AM to escape... A cold, dark wet night that was. Caught the person about 10:00 AM in the woods behind my house. Add stolen truck, possesion of meth to the list. I wish I could have seen their expression when they realized it was a cop that came to help.

heada

Reaction score
It was 70 in N Alabama yesterday.....
:(

I'm looking out of my home-office window at 4 inches of snow on the ground and today's high is 22 (wind-chill of 10) Lows in the single digits over the weekend and 4 to 6 inches of snow come Monday night.

My sister lives down near you....might need to move in with her for the winter.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We here in the DFW area are headed to a fairly low low temp of 2 degrees on Monday. Freezing drizzle today with a interesting amount of snow forecast Sun-Wed.

Good building weather, bad painting weather for me.

sperocket

Reaction score
If you are stuck or are trying to help someone that is stuck you would be amazed at how good letting most of the air out of your drive tires does. Just leave 15 to 20 lbs and you will be good till you get to an air compressor. But don't drive at highway speeds. It works in snow, mud, sand and helps on ice also.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Looks like the forecast is stabilizing on 4-6" of snow for the Seattle area this weekend. Fortunately, it'll be falling on cold pavement so we won't have a layer of ice under the snow. When that happens, you get situations like the video below. That's taken on one of our steeper hills. The thing that makes this hill dangerous is that it gets a few percent steeper in the last block (just past the mailbox in this video). That means a lot of cars can make it nearly to the top, then flame out and spiral all the way down.

Sorry, I drive in OK every week. Few years ago I got stuck at Walmart, in a blizzard, in Chickasha. Dug out 32 cars, as I was the only person in town with a shovel. Some were the biggest, baddest 4wd vehicles, with the baldest damn tires I have ever seen. :)

When it's icy, you see lots of AWD vehicles in the ditch. They hadn't gotten the news that AWD helps a lot with the go part but not so much with the stop part.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was a nice guy years ago and used my Jeep to pull a car out of a ditch on a very icy road. We had straps that I tied to my bumper (bolted onto the frame) and some secure spot under his car.

I told him, "Do NOT put your brakes on once we get onto the road, I'll slow down and once I stop you can secure your car so we can untie."

He put his brakes on as soon as we cleared the ditch and damn near ripped off my bumper and gave me whiplash. No good deed goes unpunished.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
They hadn't gotten the news that AWD helps a lot with the go part but not so much with the stop part.

I'm always amazed at the false sense of security people have because of this, and that most advertising implies this..

And how many know the difference between 4WD & AWD? (4-wheel drive vs. all wheel drive) Aren't they the same thing?! What about 'traction control'? (Yes, I know the difference)

I actually heard a driver say "But I have 4-weehle drive.." as I walked past a fender-bender in Vancouver..

mo2872

Reaction score
I'm always amazed at the false sense of security people have because of this, and that most advertising implies this..

And how many know the difference between 4WD & AWD? (4-wheel drive vs. all wheel drive) Aren't they the same thing?! What about 'traction control'? (Yes, I know the difference)

I actually heard a driver say "But I have 4-weehle drive.." as I walked past a fender-bender in Vancouver..

As one of my uncles told me once after I buried his 4wd F250......."All that does is get you stuck further in!!!". Which, it had. I was "mudding" on a dirt road......after about two weeks straight of rain........got stuck precisely in the middle of the mile section. Had to walk about two miles to find a human. Then took the tractor back the next day to "unbury" it. Good times. 😅

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
yeah.. that, and people forget that momentum is what [usually] carries them thru the rough patch..

A co-worker many years ago got his Isuzu 4-runner stuck on a snow bank in the company parking lot. All the snow from the parking lot was piled in one spot. "Hey, I got 4WD.." and he took advantage, and parked his car on teh snow mound. He was quite proud of himself.

But the day was warm & sunny (typical Vancouver BC winter day) and the mound had melted enough that the wheels were now hanging rather the supporting his truck!

another co-worker with a truck pulled him off!

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I had two run-ins with those little Toyota 4x4s back in the 80's. Neither turned out well for 4wd. The first was just after Christmas in 1983. I'd gotten Christmas money and was planning to put a new stereo in my 1979 Horizon. I picked up a couple of buddies to make the trip as "advisors" and as we were heading down the hill, we passed a Toyota pickup that had seen better days. It had been brought home earlier in the day by one of Rick's neighbors, and he let his younger brother take it out for a test drive. Idiot kid tried to drive up the side of a hill around a telephone pole, but didn't have the speed to make it the whole way and rolled it sideways down to the roadway. Funny how little that rollbar helped. I never did find out how that little family drama ended.
A few years later I was running a spare set of keys out to my brother at work. He'd picked the middle of a monster snowstorm to lock his keys in his truck, and I was waking up just as my Dad was about to leave to make the trip in his K-Car, so I offered to run the errand. I took backroads as far as I could, but eventually got onto I-275 when I got near the airport. I was driving along about 35mph in the slow lane and got passed by a girl in a Toyota 4x4. She was flying, no regard for the snow or the ice underneath it. A couple of miles up the road I passed her. She'd gotten it spinning and slid into the median. She might have been okay if she went in straight on, but she hit it sideways and started rolling it. Again, the rollbar did very little. She was out of the car and mad as a hornet when I went past, so she wasn't hurt, but she was going to need another ride.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Minus 13 here in the the Black Hills of South Dakota as the sun sets behind gray clouds......

boatgeek

Reaction score
This was round one. About an inch fell last night. I was wrong about road temps-it melted on the road and the froze overnight where salting trucks haven’t been through. Now it’ll likely melt again today, drop 6” overnight, and refereed the last inch. Woo for 4” of snow with a quarter inch of ice beneath!

D74CB6D9-8BC3-489E-B128-A5E989FB8EA0.jpeg

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I put an anvil and stand in the bed, tossed all my unstuck stuff in the backseat, and went to work. Most folks I saw were being fairly sane.

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A guy and his wife got stuck when they slid off the gravel road that is the only access for the 11 houses/lots where we live. It was just past our property. When we realized that they were stuck we walked down and made sure that they were OK. Then we walked over to the neighbor that had a tractor to see if they would help pull them out. We rang the doorbell and their yappy little dog went nuts. I heard her say something to the dog after we rang the doorbell, but she never answered the door. So we walked over to the next neighbor. He has a smaller tractor and we made several attempts to pull the guy out, but he kept sliding further off the road. He finally called AAA.

An hour or so later a tow truck drove by. A few minutes later the tow truck drives back, but in reverse... and I never see him go back. Hmmm... A few minutes later I look out the front door and the tow truck is in our driveway. Ten minutes later he is still there. I walk down there and he tells me he is waiting for his boss to come and pull him out. His front tires slid off the far side of the road and he is stuck. Not only is he stuck, he is blocking the road as his rear end is in our driveway. So the tow truck needs a tow truck.

I took some water, grapes, cookies and chips down the people who are stuck.

We're supposed to get snow here from tomorrow through the weekend. Somewhere between a dusting and 10", depending on the exact track of the weather system. 10" will bring the city to its knees* for a few days until it melts. I suppose there's worse things than being snowed in on Valentine's Day!

* Not quite fair. Arterials will be salted/plowed/sanded if you can get there. There's no plowing on side streets since snow rarely lasts more than a couple of days here.
Yeah they called off school and I'm only kind of essential at work, so I've been hanging out with the boys since the missus works out of her office at the house.

<----- Where are you folks located, no location listed?

Surprisingly nice here... 42 F and partly sunny.

boatgeek

Reaction score
<----- Where are you folks located, no location listed?

Surprisingly nice here... 42 F and partly sunny.
I'm in Seattle. We are generally weather wimps except for wind. In town, we get 40-50 mph every year. The Pacific coast gets hurricane-force winds and 15-20 foot surf every year, but it doesn't get much press. The US Coast Guard trains their motor lifeboat operators on the Columbia River Bar because they dependably get 20-30 foot breakers. Just another day at the office in the Graveyard of the Pacific.