Reality Based FPS: Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a good First Person Shooter (FPS) based on world-based reality scenarios (i.e. Mid-East, China, etc.) - that is not played on-line/multiplayer?

Am updating some games and it seems to be that many of the games really focus on multiplayer/on-line servers.

I'd simply like a game I can play solo, on my own computer, and not have the diehards who play for hours a day, ruin my own personal fun. Also am not interested in "fantasy" type games such as WoW, etc.

The original Battlefield had a plethora of scenarios that you could play on your own, without hooking up to a server or having to go into a multi-player environment.

I bought Battlefield 2 recently, but even that seems to have gone more multiplayer and I only get about eight scenarios that are standalone.

Have these, solo, games gone by the wayside for computer users?

The original Battlefield had a plethora of scenarios that you could play on your own, without hooking up to a server or having to go into a multi-player environment.

I bought Battlefield 2 recently, but even that seems to have gone more multiplayer and I only get about eight scenarios that are standalone.

There's a great free mod for BF2 that I've played loads as single player. It's quite a download (>2 gigabytes), but it completely transforms the game with loads of new maps and features - https://aixtended.com/

Cheers,
Phil

Battlefield's primary focus has always been multiplayer, even back to BF1942.

CoD used to be the franchise of choice for a storyline driven FPS...but they've gotten more multiplayer oriented with each release.

If you don't mind a little scifi, the STALKER series has gotten good reviews for overall gameplay for single player.

FC

Well, if you still have the older Playstation 2, there is the SOCOM: Navy Seals trilogy. All can be played on and off line.
Fantasy: The Timesplitters series. It's pretty intense and it's alot of fun.

Playstation 3 I'm not sure about. Don't have alot of games for that yet.

If you have the Wii, then do get Goldeneye. It's the updated game from the old N64 version (which still rocks!) and Nintendo did a bang-up job for the Wii. Works excellent, runs smooth, and the control is pretty decent. I give it an honest 5/5 stars.

CoD MW3 has a short single player but it is fun. Then there are scenarios you can play by yourself or with friends.

While Military FPS are my favorite, in general, my all time favorite FPS solo game, is Half Life 2 and the episodes that followed. It is not military but the solo play takes a long time to finish. It is, in my opinion, the all time champ of FPS solo play.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

Am still looking for computer-based, military FPS; not Wii, Xbox, etc.

I guess from what I'm gathering is that they're all moving to on-line, multiplayer eh?

FWIW, I only play PC. I can't get used to the console controllers. lol Good ol keyboard and mouse for me. :)

It seems like Battlefield 3 was geared towards MP only. I did not get it but I read the single player was not so good.

I do have CoD MW3 (PC) and I liked the solo play, although the first CoD MW1 was the best solo play of the CoD MW series.

The Brothers in Arms (WWII) series was pretty good and that is solo play only. The first two had pretty basic UIs but the third was pretty good. I enjoyed the whole series though. It had a good story line. They are usually on sale over the holidays from Steam (do you have Steam?) for $9.99 or cheaper. I felt I got my money's worth.

I did like Battlefield Bad Company 2 solo play. It is on sale right now from Steam for $9.99. I think the solo play is definitely worth $9.99.

CoD Black Ops was a great solo player. Loved the story line. Real fun zombie modes. On sale at Steam for $29.99 right now!

I thought Medal of Honor Airborne was good. The solo play was fun and it is also on sale for $4.99 at Steam. Definitely worth that price. It is more realistic in the visual sense. I am not sure there was a MP for it and if there was it probably wasn't popular because of the realism. It is harder to play when your gun isn't steady. I like that, some don't.

If I think of more, I will let you know.

If you ever want to connect with one of those CoD games and do a coop mission, I am up for it. Just let me know!

The zombie maps (CoD series) with two or more people are a lot of fun!!!

Last edited:
Yes I think the military FPS games are mostly online now. they do have a single player or campaign portion but it is small and really just there to teach you the controls anymore.

I have to second max powers suggestion of the half life series and even resistance 2 ( the whole series I imagine but have only played #2) they have won awards for story and gameplay. Though not modern realism as aliens or mutations are involved in both.
oh and half life 2 (the orange box) comes with Portal!!

-Z

i just read the last post. i agree bad company 2 solo play was a lot of fun and longer than i expected.

Who has played Zork on the Commodore 64 ?

Who remembers Red Alert ?

I have been playing battlefield 1942 since they released the free Wake Demo, Then the purchases continued. After all of the mods, The original is my favorite.

I still play 1942 and mulit player is where its at.

The New Battlefield 3 is totally insane, but you need a really high end machine for it to be worth your time playing.

Tom

Gametap.com has a lot of shooters, but there is a monthly fee. Still, you get access to hundreds of complete PC games.

Check out the Battlefield:Bad Company series.....great single player and a heck of a fun ride!

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

Am still looking for computer-based, military FPS; not Wii, Xbox, etc.

I guess from what I'm gathering is that they're all moving to on-line, multiplayer eh?

Have you tried Far Cry 2, you play as a mercenary working for competing African Warlords, it is repedative, but is a pretty open world FPS. it is designed to be played off line and still get a lot of game play. It also has been out for a few years so it is pretty cheap now.

Check out "World of Tanks".

I DL'd this and deleted it when I was looking at the tutorial. As soon as it said "auto target" that was it. I bet a Russian in a T34 would have LOVED an auto target :p

You might try City of Heroes. It's free-to-play now. Yes, it's a MMORPG but the missions are soloable or you can choose to team. You don't have to deal with PVP unless you want to, special zones are used for fighting people and even those zones have solo content. Carature types like dual pistols, assault rifles, and archers are avalible. Plus a carature generator second to none. If you can think it up you can make it, just about. Big Bertha-type women can't be made but just about everything else can.

MechWarrior 4 is a free DL now, too. There's solo play included or you can join a server and fight other people in 100 ton Mechs :) Go to Mektek.net for the info.

Back