Real Nike Fake Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
Me and the boy worked up a project for ROCstock. This year year is going to be a Nike Smoke mass launch. For ours we didn't want to use replica we decided to use actual Nikes. I'm not sure whey we didn't throw those away as the kid out grew them, but recycling them worked.

The Nikes are attached to a fiberglass honeycomb panel to stiffen them up. The backs of each show was cut off using the band saw and then the soles were tapered together so they would fit together. 38 mm motor mount.

Should be fun, might need to have a shoe cam on it.

Mike K

nike smole shoes.jpgNIke Smoke Full crop.jpg

Last edited:
That is brilliant. I'll tell you what, rocketeers are nothing if not inventive. Please, please, please get some video of this to share.

That is very innovative and a good use of "found" objects. Like Jason says, get some video for us.

If stability is an issue, you might try New Balance sneakers instead. :wink:

Drag here is a good thing, base drag will keep things going straight.

What is a cigarette without a drag,,,,,,
Yes I know the Colorado version would have better aerodynamics......
New Balance? I'm thinking Air Jordans...
Next year it is going to be a nike ajax... cleans the rail on the way up....

Mike K

Brilliant! Thanks for my first real laugh of the day.
I might do a blog post on your name and picture!

Drag here is a good thing, base drag will keep things going straight.

What is a cigarette without a drag,,,,,,
Yes I know the Colorado version would have better aerodynamics......
New Balance? I'm thinking Air Jordans...
Next year it is going to be a nike ajax... cleans the rail on the way up....

Mike K

Yep. Bring it out to Colorado and we will make a big improvement. All totally legal of course.

Hope you used Nike Air Max..... just for the extra altitude

----
edit

scrub that idea... a nice pair of those could maybe get resold and get you an M motor!

Should put you on a real solid footing, but not even odor eaters will take care of that after launch smell.

Somebody needs to put a paint job like this on a King Kraken :wink:

Me and the boy worked up a project for ROCstock. This year year is going to be a Nike Smoke mass launch. For ours we didn't want to use replica we decided to use actual Nikes. I'm not sure whey we didn't throw those away as the kid out grew them, but recycling them worked.

The Nikes are attached to a fiberglass honeycomb panel to stiffen them up. The backs of each show was cut off using the band saw and then the soles were tapered together so they would fit together. 38 mm motor mount.

Should be fun, might need to have a shoe cam on it.

Mike K

View attachment 174241View attachment 174242
Mike-congrats on the flight! That was hilarious! Not too bad for a 'foot powered' vehicle! LOL!

I keep on reading the title of this thread as "real nik-ee fake-ee smoke"... :)

Back