Quantcast

Reading Recent Posts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Joe Burger

Reaction score
I find that on serveral occasions, I am unable to pull up a recent response to a thread that I have initiated.

I am not sure if it is the iMac's we are using or if there is a bug in the software.

For example, today I have responded to some questions on my thread and I was able to view them. If I leave the site and come back I can see the number of responses has increased and I can see the name of the last person that did respond to the thread. I click on view the last post next to the person's name and it pulls up the last reponse from yesterday. I click on the replies, say close window and open thread and it brings me back to the same response from yesterday.

I have attempted to reboot the computer and enter the thread using all methods available with no success. Am I the only one that has this problem?

Thanks in advance.

edwardw

Reaction score
I have had this problem on my fiances G4 Mac. If I use Netscape I can view the current results/posts on the forum. If I use Internet Explorer I get the not so current version of the forum.

But, I can access chat only through Explorer, and not netscape.

I don't know how Safari does though.

Edward

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
Originally posted by edwardw
If I use Netscape I can view the current results/posts on the forum. If I use Internet Explorer I get the not so current version of the forum.

But, I can access chat only through Explorer, and not netscape.

Edward

I've had exactly the same experience

lalligood

Reaction score
It sounds like your browser (because the problem sounds hardware neutral) is referencing its cache instead of loading the new(er) version of the same page. I would think that refreshing the page should clear that up. For most browsers, at least on PCs, that means pressing <F5> or <Crtl>+R or clicking on the Refresh button.

(FWIW, the situation you are describing happens to me sometimes on a PC running Linux with the KDE Konqueror browser at the office...)

HTH,

rocketkid88

Reaction score
hapens 2 me on my iMac to, and like lolligood said i think that basikly the browser is 'remembering what it saw last time'... instead of the new content. when it starts doing that allot in one browser, i move over to safari wich was problem free for a while but i guess i came here so much it started doing the same thing:rolleyes: refreshing dosn't do the trick, i've also tried clearing the 'history' on the browser, but that doesn't seem to work consistently.... when it starts hapending try poping it up in another browser, should be OK, but can't say fersure. good luck!

Jase

Reaction score
I got a Mac laptop from work a couple of weeks ago and using Safari, I have the same problem. Though, it only seems to happen when I am using a dial up account. When I am on high speed internet in a hotel or at home, it seems fine.

For the most part, every page I visit in the forum, I have to hit refresh to see the current status. I have not been able to find yet where the settings are for caching pages.

Joe Burger

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone.

I have attempted the refresh trick and that didn't work. There are occasions that I do not have a problem at all.

Friends dedicated to their PC's tell me to "Bite the Apple". LOL someone already took a bite. :D

Chuck Rudy

Reaction score
No problems here Joe using the early Quicksilver G4 and Netscape 6.2 something. I haven't tried it on Safari as I use the Netscape email program. 11 years on the net and no viruses, so I'll keep on keepin' on with Netscape. You didn't get any nanoaluminum in the drives did ya?

Jase

Reaction score
I found a trick that works for Safari.

It essentially blocks Safari from caching pages at all.

Clear the cache and then go to users/home folder/library/caches/safari and mark the folder as read only.

This blocks Safari from writing any cache pages in there.

This fixed my problem with searching new posts.

Joe Burger

Reaction score
I am getting extremely frustrated. :mad:

Today (6/25/04) I have been attempting to access the forums. When I go to events, the LDRS thread I initiated takes me to my original post. No replies. :mad:

Yesterday, I had success on our shipping PC system but today it tells me I am not logged in repeatedly. I just spent 30 minutes trying to answers questions and cannot reply due to this problem. I logged in 4 different times in one attempt. :mad:

I truly want to participate with this forum but if I can't access it...... :kill:

jetra2

Reaction score
Sorry...I can't help it...but...

GET A PC!

My smart aleck comment is now over. Thank you.

:D :p :D

Jason

Joe Burger

Reaction score
Originally posted by jetra2
Sorry...I can't help it...but...

GET A PC!

My smart aleck comment is now over. Thank you.

:D :p :D

Jason
LOL. I find it very odd that I can reply to this thread. Still no luck elsewhere. I did attempt this morning on our PC in shipping. Dude, it's a Dell. I was completely confused as to why it kept making me log in over and over again just trying to respond and it still denied my response. :mad:

Don't worry guys/gals, i will continue to come here. It just may take me a few days before I can actually read the posts or reply to them.

As I said, it is so wierd that some days there is no problem. Other days forget it. :confused:

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Joe,

The PC that was making you log in constantly may have had cookies disabled. I've said it before and I'll say it again... this forum software is horrible if you don't browse with cookies.

In order to browse with cookies you must setup your browser to allow cookies and then you must tell TRF to browse with cookies. These are two distinct settings and they all must line up for a pleasant TRF experience. :)

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
Whew!!!

I was sweatin' bullets there for a sec.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Joe's updates are always interesting to read.:D Usually because he's whipping up something new.:D :D :D

Joe Burger

Reaction score
Originally posted by Milo
Joe,

The PC that was making you log in constantly may have had cookies disabled. I've said it before and I'll say it again... this forum software is horrible if you don't browse with cookies.

In order to browse with cookies you must setup your browser to allow cookies and then you must tell TRF to browse with cookies. These are two distinct settings and they all must line up for a pleasant TRF experience. :)
Thanks for the input. I love this site and forum. You have a great thing going on here that I am more than happy to participate in.

When I get a moment, I will check our PC in shipping to make sure that the cookies are enabled. Would that be chocolate chip, oatmeal or fig newton? :D

Thanks again Milo!! :cool:

Ryan S.

Reaction score
I have the problem when browsing with internet explorer on an old G4 desktop at school I use Safari on my mac and sometimes the pages do not updade immediatly but I hit refresh and they come up. I think it is an internet explorer problem because it happens on PCs sometimes too. I have tried refreshing, it sometimes works, and restarting the program, I will see what I can dig up from my mac friends