Re-sharpening #11 Xacto blades

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
What is a good technique to get the edge back on #11 Xacto blades? I have a lot of them and don't want to just throw them out. If there is a way to get the edge back I'd be glad to try it. I mainly use mine to cut fins out and the wood is a killer to the blades.

Micromeister. I just know you have something up your sleeve...:D

Use a razor saw to cut the fins. I bought a pack of 100 + 10 bonus blades about 15 years ago for about $10. Still have about 1/2 left. They are cheap enough I just throw them out when they get dull.

I have been using an Arkansas stone since I was a kid to sharpen all my blades. I have an x-acto blade several years old I resharpen constantly to cut fin slots, tape patterns on airframes etc.
The rest of the pack sits right there un-used, because for me, it takes less time to slide the blade a few strokes on the stone, than changing it.
When cutting tubes, I re-sharpen every few cuts to maintain that razor edge.

I just use new blades when mine get dull. I go through about two or three blades per build. A dull blade is a dangerous blade.

Mario

Micromeister posted a lengthy description a year or two ago of the materials and process he uses for this. He had a good story on all the sharpening stones, polishing paste, stropping techniques, and all the rest. Anybody got a link to that post?

I'd suggest using 400 grit Carorundum sandpaper. Ideally, you would use a super flat surface like a piece of plate glass and hold the blade at precisely the same angle as you sharpen, but since you are primarily interested with touching up the tip, you don't have to be that exacting.

HO man! Here we go! \
Power! I sorta remember that also, but didn't have the link.
I get much maligned and ridiculed often by several of the guys in the club because I'm an advocate of STROPPING your knives and well, all blades rather then trying to resharpen them on stone or sandpaper after tearing them up. I have a Buck knife that's Never been on a stone since it's purchased several decades ago, it's still razor shape with an edge that was Strop only applied as part of a boyscout tot'n chip excersise in 1981! I have used this knife littlerly to shave on many an campout, Hunting trips, and outtings. I also have a little swiss army pocket knife I carry daily that's the same way.

X-acto blades "factory edge" out of the package is sharp, but isn't really razor sharp.
All my blades MUST shave hair or they are not considered sharp. X-axto, pocket knife, sheath knife, Hand Axe, Draw knifes, chisels, what have you.
the better 2/3rd hates it when I finish with her kitchen knife set as she's not as careful as she should be some times...Luckly a cut from a very sharp blade heals quicker then the tear from a dull one:)

To process and keep your cutting tools razor sharp requires a little time to learn HOW to sharpen and strop, and making a habbit of stroppiing the tool before you begin using it. About 10 passes pre side. Unless you really nick it up badly somehow is about all that's needed to KEEP a #11 sharp. With experience and practice you'll learn to "feel" when that edge needs another stropping during heavy use.

Stropping is done on an old leather belt or flesh side of a piece of leather rubbed well with jewlers rouge. A strop can be made into a very thick stiff "strap" as seen hanging from the chairs in the barber shops or something as simple as mounting it with contact cement to a block of wood.
Mario you are in dire need of one of these strops! LOL!!!

in "Stropping" the blade is drawn backwards toward you, edge still away for you, rather than pushing forward, cutting into the leather as you would on a stone, again away for you when "sharpening". Picking and keeping a constant angle on the blade is very important. On most of my knives I've change the blade angle from the usual manufactured 30° on both sides to 0°-30° razor sharpening angle. This includes my X-acto #11,#16 and #2 or 24 blades.

I think I've actually change X-acto blades only about a half dozen times over the past 10-15 years. Usually only if I snap a blade doing something I knew I shouldn't or dropping the knife. Stropping about 10 strokes a side, evertime you pick up the knife to start work keeps her razor..hair shaving sharp all the time.

If you've really dulled them down without nicking the blade stropping will bring them back fairly qucikly. If you've broken off tips, chipped or nicked up the blade. Then some work on a good oil stone, Arkansas oil stone or Triple stone set and/or oiled wet/dry 320,400,600girt sandpaper can fill the bill. All ending with a good stropping session to really polish the edge.

Do keep in mind, Sharpening on stones and sandpaper is removing a lot of tempered blade, Stropping is polishing the edge, removing very very little of the tempered edge.
Hope this helps a little.

Edit PS:
If you do start stropping your blades Please do not press your thumb onto the cutting edge to see if it's sharp!! If you've followed the instructions correctly...by the time your brain recieves the signal, you'll ahave already cut your thunb to the bone. You can ask any of many folks i've sharpend knifes for about this including my Father-in-law and several of the guys for the shop. NOR use your tonge or finger nail!!! if you Must Prove the blades edge CAREFULLY draw it along the forarm hair...it will cleanly fall off without applying any pressure.

Sharpening Strops-a-sm_5 dif strops & cake rouge_10-26-06.jpg

I have been using an Arkansas stone since I was a kid to sharpen all my blades. I have an x-acto blade several years old I resharpen constantly to cut fin slots, tape patterns on airframes etc.
The rest of the pack sits right there un-used, because for me, it takes less time to slide the blade a few strokes on the stone, than changing it.
When cutting tubes, I re-sharpen every few cuts to maintain that razor edge.

Heck of an idea!
Means I get to break out all my knife sharpening equipment.
:pirate:

Okay, so where do I buy the necessary equipment at Micro?

at micro????????

Do you mean "Where do I buy the necessary equipment?

or are we looking for something micro??? I'm so confused!!!!

Ok! looking at this a little longer, I think your asking where to buy stropping materials! Doh! sorry.....

Leather strip; If your have an Old real leather belt, shoe, purse or wallet that can be used; Cut a strip about 1-1/2" wide strip at least 6" long, or as long and wide as you'd like your strop to be. If you have absoluetely NO real leather in the house, you may have to purchase some scrap from Tandy or HideCrafters Leather companies. Both have on-line shops and sell scrap bags of odds and ends you'd like a least one piece in the 8-10oz vegetable tanned variety..NOT chrome tanned leather it's to rought and doesn't hold the rouge.
Either will also have 1/4lb cakes of Jewels Rouge cakes for under 2 bucks last time I bought.
Both Leather supplies companies and just about any Outdoor Outfitter or Sporting good Shop or department should have a selection of Arkasas oil stones and/or triple sided Coarse/Med/fine finishing oil stone sets and Sharpening Oil (Don't use 3-in-1 or motor oil they well clog the stones). If you need a Shapening Stone or Stone Set.. Don't buy those Dry work only Diamond stones, all they do is tare up your blades;)

To make a strop you'll also need a stiff backing piece, such as a scrap block of wood 1-1/2" wide x 6" or larger depending on the size you want to make your strop. Apply contact cement to both the sruface of the wooden block and the hairside (smooth shinny side) of your piece of leather. Let both completely dry to the touch. carefully line up the two pieces and press them together. Line up carefully, once they touch there is NO adjustment. If unsure, I'd suggest placing a piece of waxed paper betreen the pieces until your ready, then slide it out as you go. rub a good coating of rouge into the fleshy side of the leather. your ready to strop away all those nasty dull blades:)

Sorry, but the grammar was correct. If there was a comma inserted, it would've been wrong. ;)

I took Micro's advice a few years ago and bought the rouge and strop from Tandy Leather. Now they send me their catalogs evey so often. Man, that's one company that's still stuck in the 70's. I can't believe the leathercraft hasn't evolved beyond the bulky wallets and watchbands :eek:

Thanks guys for your info. And thanks Micro for your elaborate replies.

I have one last question regarding stropping. Is it better to draw the blade in a single straight pass with the edge perpendicular to the strop or is it better to hold the edge at an angle, diagonal per say, and draw towards you?

Sorry, but the grammar was correct. If there was a comma inserted, it would've been wrong. ;)

OH AK!
I can't let this one slide, it's one of the worst "English Errors" out here!!!...NO NO NO the grammar isn't correct at all!!!!!
I'm probably the worlds worst speller, I hated english & languages in school. but one thing that just makes me KRINGE every time I hear it.. is any form of

"Where are you... AT? "

There is no Legitimate way to end a sentence with a preposition. You're leaving that poor preposition "At" without an object. exceedingly poor speech!

In our example "Where do I buy the necessary equipment AT micro." AT is totally useless, with or without a comma...It's just Wrong!. "Where do I buy the necessary equipment micro." would have done nicely.

Sorry forgive me Ak!
As I mentioned earlier I'm probably the worst english teacher there could possibly be, but maybe if we call attention to horriffic wrongs like this "AT" thing, which has become so pervasive in public use today, we'll be able to get our young people to correct it....it's a hope anyway.

Thanks guys for your info. And thanks Micro for your elaborate replies.

I have one last question regarding stropping. Is it better to draw the blade in a single straight pass with the edge perpendicular to the strop or is it better to hold the edge at an angle, diagonal per say, and draw towards you?

Pat:
That is truely funny! I'm one of those guys, I enjoy working with leather almost as much as building rockets. Carving and tooling on leather needs room, so those big bulky wallets, watchbands, Belts and handbags are our canvas;) Out of date...well maybe, out of Style.. Nope never:)

Bigone:
Better is relative! My best advise is to find a "holding angle" that is most natural and comforatable for you. I personally use a combination of the two methods you discribed above. Setting the blade up for pulling strokes at 0 to 30° UP angle, pulling straight back and ending at a bit of an angle as I lift the blade off the strop.
On the back stroke (other side of the blade) I try to use the natural angle of my wrist to set the blade at about 30° up on the strop, pulling away from myself and lifting just as I reach the end of the strop. Hope that sort of makes sense, sure wish I could show you the method it'd be far easier:)
If your blade is LONGER the the strop is wide you'll be pulling back and sliding the blade across the strop diagonally as you go. Think of Stropping a Sword or Machete on a 1-1/2" or 2" wide x 8 or 10" long strop.. see what I mean:) The Back pull speed is adjusted to allow the entire blade to be drawn Heel to tip across the strop in the lenght of travel available. Just as one would on a stone only pulling backwards rather then pushing forward.

Micro,

when selecting a piece of leather for a strop, do you choose leather that is "smooth" or relatively "rough" on the back side (the flesh side)

I would guess that you would like rough, to hold the polishing rouge, but then again it would seem like a smoother surface would polish/sharpen the knife edge a little faster

waddya think? ( <-- you grammar-heads can open fire now)

Micro,

when selecting a piece of leather for a strop, do you choose leather that is "smooth" or relatively "rough" on the back side (the flesh side)

I would guess that you would like rough, to hold the polishing rouge, but then again it would seem like a smoother surface would polish/sharpen the knife edge a little faster

waddya think? ( <-- you grammar-heads can open fire now)

Most any flesh side real Cowhide leather surface will do Powder. I try to use 8-10oz (somewhere around >1/8")leather scraps.
Within a very short time your new strop surface will pertty much even out after a few rubbings with the rouge cake and work on a couple of knives or blades.

What you don't want is a very soft spongy leather, Pigskin or cowhide that might be found in a crease of the hide or folded area around shoulder, neck or leg joints. As long as the leather piece is firm across the entire surface it'll "work in" fine.
Hope this helps.

As a custom knifemaker in my real life, whose livelyhood rests on creating and sharpening an interesting piece of steel, I'd just like to say that Micromeister has it absolutely correct. A strop is absolutely essential to polishing the cutting edge. A buffing wheel can do much the same, but it can be the most dangerous machine in a knifemakers shop so I don't advocate its use by nonprofessionals. (Having a blade thrown at you at a high rate of speed when an edge catches the wheel really gets the adrenalin pumping:D)

For anyone who doesn't have a Tandy shop or such nearby, let me know and I can set you up with a scrap of leather to make a decent strop.

Can polishing compound used on buffing wheels be used in place of Jeweler's rouge? I have most of a stick left from polishing different metals, I'd like to prevent going out and buying something that i already have :p I know there are different grades, i got the one that's made for cleaning hard metals (monel, incolnel) or polishing stainless steels.
thanks

Brian:
As Blades just stated, I've also had a blade or two thrown at me from a little slip on a stropping wheel, (My Dad used to make our own Knifes as well).... It's NO fun! and generally ruins most of the work you've already done to the blade bouncing off walls and such:(
I'd strongly suggest staying away for buffing wheels or powered strops for polishing your knife edges.

I nearly always use the white jewels rouge for Tandy as it's really very inexpensive, comes in smaller cakes and stores easily with my strops. I believe it's actually a form of "White diamond rouge" which isn't diamonds at all but White Aluminum Oxide in the 1200grit range, used mainly to cut & Color Chrome, steel and stainless steels (Al2O3).

If you have such a compound you can certainly give it a try, by rubbing your Stick, block or cake on a strop as mentioned previously, But Again I strongly suggest shying away for motorized methods of attempting to sharpen and strop blades. it's just not worth the trip to the hospital;)

Hope this helps.

lol i wasnt thinking about honing the knife with the buffing wheel.. but using the polishing compound i bought and use on the buffing wheel on a piece of leather in place of the jewelers rogue :pirate: I already ruined one knife 'honing' it on a very dull belt sander, it gave it a very nice polished finish, but i didnt have a cup of water handy to cool the blade down, and it annealed it, it couldnt hardly hold an edge after that :mad:

I figured the polishing compound sold for buffing wheels is similar to jewelers rogue.. it is a very fine abrasive powder in a paste.. but there are alot of different materials/sizes of abrasives, thats why i was asking if it could be substituted :p

hehe, sorry about the confusion

Back