Re-assessing my motivations.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
Once I've seen a dozen rockets roar off the launch pad, the thrill is mostly gone.
For me, the launch is just verification that my design and construction is sound.
So far, I'm falling short, but I learn with each launch.
What I find satisfying is the discussions on this forum, the design process, and seeing my design come to life.
At yesterdays launch, one guy launched some totally fun rockets, probably from kits. Nothing to do with altitude or velocity, just watching something wild looking fly.
I could see doing more of that.
I think, for now, I'm going to focus less on making my rockets go really high. After a thousand feet, I can't see them anyway and it just takes me more time to retrieve them.
Smaller motors are cheaper too. Eventually I want to go for Mach 1 or a high altitude. but spending $40, or more, for one motor isn't in my everyday budget.
I think I'm going to stick with Estes C motors for a while. Even a BT-55 rocket can go pretty high on a C.

For unusual kits look at Newway Rockets and Fliskits.

Certainly, find the aspects of the hobby that you enjoy most and focus on them.

I have found that BT55 and BT60 rockets with 24mm mounts are a perfect sweet spot for most of my builds. The 24mm mount gives a lot of flexibility; I typically get 500-800 ft on a D12, and can see them easily the whole way. I can adapt down to 18mm and fly Questjet C12 and D16s. If it's a calm day and I can throw in an E15 or E30 and take my chances.

Of course I fly some smaller and some bigger as well, but that size is my go-to.

I don't build enough. Or fly enough. That said, in my head I'm more and more attracted to mid power. For one thing, I'm liking the bigger rockets, which means heavier rockets, which means C and D engines begin to fall short. For another, I like the somewhat greater thrill of a big roaring composite motor and getting great altitude, yet I know what you mean about that fading.

I've got my L1, and a part built L2 project that I intend to finish and get the certification. That's partly out of wanting to finish what I start, and after that, I don't know if I'll ever go with L2 motors again. I also don't know that I won't.

I can't knock anyone who goes for altitude or tons of pyro, but there is something to be said about trying different constraints.
For the foreseeable future I'm stuck in smaller local parks so seeing what different payloads I can launch on LPR while staying under 300' has a different element of excitement to it.

We can't all send a Voyager outside the solar system, sometimes we have to try a Sputnik.

Have you tried clustered rockets? The build process is more complex, and you can build much heavier rockets and still launch them on the Estes BP motors.

On this island, we're not able to do HPR or even MPR and in fact, I have a hard time filming my rockets past 500 feet, so why bother. Watching my V2 go into the air with a D12-3 is very satisfying, especially when it releases several paratroopers with it. Maybe someday, I'll move back to Vegas where the skies the limit and it's only a 10 hour drive to Black Rock.

Admittedly, my main motivation these days is waiting for the trade winds to die down so I can launch more than an A8-3.

Back