RCS Head end ignition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a project in the planning stages that could use them but I'm keeping my options open. The costs add up with all the required motor hardware plus $30 a pop for the (consumable) initiator:

https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/Low_Cost_Head_End_Initiator/p1577809_16501656.aspx
The MS3116E8-2S connectors are about $40 too and, by my reading, are limited to 5A which may, or may not, require additional steps to work safely with your avionics.

I can get over the added costs and complexity because, let's be honest, head-end ignition is super cool! But, even with all that out of the way, since you're modifying the reload it has to be treated as an experimental motor. That makes it more complicated to fly safely and insured. How easy that is to overcome really depends on the club you fly with and the insurance they carry.

All told, it's probably more hassle than it's worth for most projects but I want to use one anyway :cool:

The cost is higher than I would like, but it's not unreasonable considering what the parts offer.

I've had two other HEI project attempts but never got to the flight stage as I was never comfortable enough with the setup - both 38mm, one CTI and one Aerotech. At least the RCS option looks viable. If I can get to HEI without having to fabricate something myself I am all for it.

Many of the HEI igniters require a lot of power to fire and you need to ground test.
You need to budget for extra igniters.
I have used Holex igniter plus a booster charge. These also required high current so used a Xavian timer (out of production) that would give 10 amps.
I have used Aerotech motors and modified the stock closure, I had some that were burn throughs and were going to be discarded.

Back