RCRG Flyer in Ohio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr205347d

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like lots of guys, I started in rockets as a kid. Here I am in 1969, age 15:

Andy and Saturn V.jpg

As usual, I was out of rockets for many years. After a BS and MS in engineering, a career as a pilot, and years off and on flying RC airplanes, I have started flying RC rocket gliders. I have built and flown three kits so far from Frank at Dynasoar Rocketry, with a fourth on the workbench now.

Andy

Welcome to TRF! There are a few old-timers here including myself. I probably discovered model rockets in about 1960 and also got engineering degrees. I never did RC airplanes, but I also have some of Frank's gliders and dabbled in some of my own. You will find plenty of posts & threads in the TRF Rocket Boosted Glider category.

Welcome! While I'm in IN, there are several very active clubs in OH. Check out the NAR and TRA websites for contacts. My main club here in IN is ROCI, and we fly at the AMA field in Muncie. Of course every time we fly there, there are lots of interesting RC planes flying at the other sites on the property.
I, too, started flying model rockets in the 60's and got back into it in the 80's with my kids doing science fair projects, scouts, etc. Drifted away again, but drifted back.

Where are you located in Ohio? Dayton area here, we have two great clubs here, wright stuff rocketeers and Tripoli mid Ohio. Message me if you want to discuss more.

Last edited:
There are a few old-timers here including myself.
That's putting it mildly. At 58, this is one of the few places that I feel like a young'n. This place it loaded with geezers. There are plenty of young folks at launches, and NAR membership keeps growing, but I guess the young members are all busy on Twit Face and Snap Tok.

RCRGs are really cool. I love watching those flights. Not that I'm interested in starting on that, but I do love seeing them.

If your in Northern Ohio. There is a HP at a farm near Amherst thru NOTRA / SKYBUSTERS. Get on the mailing list to know when launches are a go. http://www.rimworld.com/notra/

There is a low power only club near the Aurora Outlets at Harmon flying field. But we only get the site 2nd and 4th weekends of the month.
Monitor the message board at https://mtma.groups.io/g/public/topics for updates.

Both sites have some issues with wind directions that can cancel a launch. But we fly when we can.

If your in Northern Ohio. There is a HP at a farm near Amherst thru NOTRA / SKYBUSTERS. Get on the mailing list to know when launches are a go. http://www.rimworld.com/notra/

There is a low power only club near the Aurora Outlets at Harmon flying field. But we only get the site 2nd and 4th weekends of the month.
Monitor the message board at https://mtma.groups.io/g/public/topics for updates.

Both sites have some issues with wind directions that can cancel a launch. But we fly when we can.
Thanks for the info. But, those sites are a two hour drive for me from Columbus. The Dayton based clubs' launch sites are closer.

I am the treasurer for NAR 703 also known as The Wright Stuff Rocketeers. You can look at our launch schedule as well as Tripoli Mid Ohio's schedule at WSR Website

Please note that WSR flies all year round, while Tripoli Mid Ohio is only active during high power season. The two clubs also have a very different fee structure for membership and launches, so you should check out which club best suits your needs.

WSR has a low and mid-power field in Huber Heights and our high-power field near Cedarville which we expect to be harvested in the next few weeks. WSR also meets casually for rocket building and a gab-fest every Tuesday afternoon and evening at eRockets (1510 Springfield St., in Dayton, Ohio). Everyone is welcome to drop by if you are in the area and say hi, get a tour and pet the rabbit (Elon Musk). You can also build a rocket or two if you have time.

WSR also does a lot of community outreach such as build and fly events. We did the Family Day event August 6th at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force where we helped people build and fly 350 rockets until weather shut us down. And this past week the club did a small build and fly event at a local library (27 rockets) and a second event at a school (about 80 rockets).

I am the treasurer for NAR 703 also known as The Wright Stuff Rocketeers. You can look at our launch schedule as well as Tripoli Mid Ohio's schedule at WSR Website

Please note that WSR flies all year round, while Tripoli Mid Ohio is only active during high power season. The two clubs also have a very different fee structure for membership and launches, so you should check out which club best suits your needs.

WSR has a low and mid-power field in Huber Heights and our high-power field near Cedarville which we expect to be harvested in the next few weeks. WSR also meets casually for rocket building and a gab-fest every Tuesday afternoon and evening at eRockets (1510 Springfield St., in Dayton, Ohio). Everyone is welcome to drop by if you are in the area and say hi, get a tour and pet the rabbit (Elon Musk). You can also build a rocket or two if you have time.

WSR also does a lot of community outreach such as build and fly events. We did the Family Day event August 6th at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force where we helped people build and fly 350 rockets until weather shut us down. And this past week the club did a small build and fly event at a local library (27 rockets) and a second event at a school (about 80 rockets).
Hi Zeus,

I have been to eRockets to pick up merchandise, and have chatted with Randy.

I do my RCRG flying at my local RC field, but plan to get to a Cedarville launch to spectate. I don't know if your field condition would be suitable for landing my gliders. The RC runway is like a golf course fairway.

The farmer planted corn this year so it will not be smooth.

Back