RC Rocket Car

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy12345

Reaction score
Hi

I am building an RC car powered by an Hybrid Rocket to attempt the land speed record. I have a design and need some help where to get the stuff.

I have had some advice and I need a 29mm rocket motor connected to a 800cc tank of NOS with a ball valve to control the flow. I was planning around 50N thust and was told I need a 0.8mm orifice.

Whats the best place to get the stuff I need? I need phenolic liners, cases etc...

I have never even seen a hybrid rocket...lol

you wont be breaking any land speed records with that. I suggest you start with commercial hybrid motors. and ill say this now before the bandwagon starts telling you to buy testes (oops I meant Estes) kits.

Hi

I have calulated 50N thrust will take the 4KG RC car over 180 mph in 1/4 mile and the speed record is 161.73mph. Any reason this system wont perform?

Cheers

Ok, street car speed record, this car wont be street legal :p. I was under the impression you were trying to break the thrust sscs record

Its a remote controlled car 2 ft long max and 9lbs in weight. I need help building the 50 newton thrust rocket

Cheers

How will you control it? At that speed, the tiniest turn of the wheel will send your car out of control. I am just curious. I've never been interested in RC cars, just planes and heli's. I have a couple planes capable of speeds in excess of 125 mph and the control surfaces move about 1 or 2 millimeters up and down, and that is a lot.

Mike

A: sounds dangerous
B: sounds like you don't have a background in rocketry
C: Read the rules of TRF. This sounds like you are asking how to build your own rocket motor or modify an existing one.

Hi

I need a hybrid as I want to be able to throttle it. West Midlands

If you have been into helis then you will know about gyros. I will have one on the steering throttle. Like I said the record is 161.73 mph. I am aiming for 200mph buy April

Yes I am building a custom hybrid if I can poosible get some help.

Anybody??

OK I have found the perfect rocket

https://www.aeroconsystems.com/motors/rattworks.htm

What I intend to do is remove the pressure chamber at the back and feed the motor with a 1/4" SS tube and controlled with a ball valve. The original tank is 136cc and gives 2.57 seconds burn. I need 10 seconds so I will use an 800cc tank.

What I want to know is do I need to add more solid propelant for a 10 second burn? and will it fit in this enclosure?

Also whats the nylon tube for??

Cheers

OK I have found the perfect rocket

https://www.aeroconsystems.com/motors/rattworks.htm

What I intend to do is remove the pressure chamber at the back and feed the motor with a 1/4" SS tube and controlled with a ball valve. The original tank is 136cc and gives 2.57 seconds burn. I need 10 seconds so I will use an 800cc tank.

What I want to know is do I need to add more solid propelant for a 10 second burn? and will it fit in this enclosure?

Also whats the nylon tube for??

Cheers

I don't want to come out blunt, but I think you need more knowledge, actually a lot more, to take on this challenge. To answer your question, yes you will definitely need more propellant. Nitrous oxide alone will not produce any thrust, besides the very little that may be produced from the escaping gases. Nitrous oxide just serves as an oxidizer to provide oxygen for the propellant to burn as the propellant is usually a cardboard tube, PVC, plastic, etc which doesn't come with its own oxygen. The casing will not be able to hold all that extra propellant so you'll need a larger one. I don't know about the nylon tube though. My guess is that it would serve to support the igniter.

50N of thrust is going to get a 9lb car going 100+mph?

first thing you want to do is build a test stand, and then go from there...dont be launching your first rocket in a 9lb projectile...

Hi

I run the World RC car speed chamionships and in 2009 we have events planned in the UK, USA x 2, South Africa and Autralia. We are running to a common set of classes so can compete against each other.

Our track is the Shakespeare County Raceway drag strip near stratford aupon avon where we will be using the full 1/4 mile and the 1/3 mile slow down area.

We have already had a rocket car up to 90 mph and it will be shown on the gadget show in December along with the longest rc car jump and the fastet IC powered car

At this years event there are a number of guys building non wheel driven cars with jet engines, pulse jet engines and rockets.

I did some calculations for speed with 50N and got 180mph over 1/4 mile for a 4kg car but this was assuming 50N continuously.

I have all the information now and all I need is some advice on how much fuel grain I need for 800cc of NOS and a 10 second burn time.

I will have to make thicker phenolic liners for the casing for this length of burn and I am looking at a remote firing system

Cheers

Go to the propulsion forum and read the intent. This is not an experimental website. We stick to manufactured motors and we are not going to sit here and explain you how to make your own motor or modify a manufacturer's motor.

i agree with bigander...while i dont doubt that this is legit, and launching an RC car on a rocket motor can both be fulfilling and insightful, while providing you with excellent data, this site is more geared to rocketry. launching rockets in the air towards the sky. that's all im going to say about that, i'll let a mod explain it further if they deem necessary.

Have you considered maybe building a car around one of the many commercial hybrid motors available first? That way you can work on all the issues with the car, control, remote filling & ignition, etc and gain an understanding of how a hybrid rocket motor works, without having to design your own rocket motor from scratch. Then you can work on the rocket motor (if you decide it's a route worth pursuing) with some hybrid experience and knowledge of what a rocket-car requires, and far more likely to end up with a working car.

You've found the Rattworks motors, SkyRipper are another company with 29mm motors that might be worth looking into.

Good luck,
Phil

Back