RC Hobbies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of you on here have other hobbies such as RC planes and Helicopters etc. I also run RC SCT nitro trucks. I have a good friend who flies RC planes, the Styrofoam type and I wanted to build him a plane, but out of balsa. I was wondering if any of you have built a plane out of balsa and what are some of the issues you had with building it? What type of skill level is required on a scale of 1-5 and 5 being most challenging. If I was to purchase a plane of this type where would I buy one at?

Thank you!!

A plane build is 3-5, depending on the plane and your experience. Covering the model is another question.

One issue with planes is that, unlike rockets, depending on their design, size, power, etc will each have very different flying characteristics. Scale warbirds vs aerobatic planes vs high-wing "trainers" vs...... bigger ones are easier to fly, and probably build since they're less fragile. So there's that, figuring out what your friend can fly, has space to fly, wants to fly, etc.

I've built some mountain models as suggested above, they're very nicely designed for assembly.

Covering is an acquired skill/art.

N

Stevens Aeromodel also makes cleverly engineered laser-cut wood kits. Bill Stevens is a nice guy to deal with.

Sadly, it looks like Mountain Models is out of commission - or so it seems based on discussions on RC Groups. Too bad as Brian Eberwein (and before him Doug Binder, who started MM) had a number of simple, good flying airplanes, which are favorites of mine still.

Stevens Aeromodel also makes cleverly engineered laser-cut wood kits. Bill Stevens is a nice guy to deal with.

Sadly, it looks like Mountain Models is out of commission - or so it seems based on discussions on RC Groups. Too bad as Brian Eberwein (and before him Doug Binder, who started MM) had a number of simple, good flying airplanes, which are favorites of mine still.
Ah, that's a bummer, I didn't realize. I really loved my Scepter.

If you can find an old Carl Goldberg model they made some of the best balsa kits around. They're a project though... I have an Eagle 2 sitting on my workbench, waiting for the time to build it. About a Level 3...

Goldberg kits are indeed very good examples of pre-laser-cutter kits and do go together well. Generally very nice flyers, too.

Been flying rc planes and choppers since the late 70's. Rockets from childhood.

If you can find an old Carl Goldberg model they made some of the best balsa kits around. They're a project though... I have an Eagle 2 sitting on my workbench, waiting for the time to build it. About a Level 3...

I have a CG Freedom.20 waiting for my attention.

I've flown the freedom, make sure you put in a 40 size.

Yup, but actually considering electrifying this one. I’ve had two others, 30 years ago.....wow, has it been that long?? First one got re-kitted on the first flight. Second one lasted much longer!

That is a classic R/C airplane. It flies great. Are you going to build it 3 channel, or 4 channel? If you go with ailerons, it may be worth dropping the dihedral a bit. As a 3-channel model, it's just right.

Goldberg made some great kits but don't forget SIG Manufacturing they have some outstanding kits. Most are balsa construction everything from kits to ARF's. Just like rockets there are lots of skills to learn with building planes. Been building and flying for over 30 years now and the industry has changed a lot and now the hobby in itself is being changed due to influx of big business wanting the airspace for their drones and FAA paranoia. Plus the hobby is currently facing a lot of the same common social problems that all other areas within our society are facing. But all in all it's still a great hobby.

Back