RC Chute Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbler

Reaction score
I am sure this has been done before but decided to use RC components I had laying around to make a remote chute deployment system. If I like it, I may pop for the Jolly Logic one.

This one weights 15grams, so not much at all.

Attachments

• B4EEBCEB-FB2C-47A7-9A5A-94FCE28FBAB6.jpeg
    B4EEBCEB-FB2C-47A7-9A5A-94FCE28FBAB6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E7AA0E9-3EAD-4BED-8C20-229631EFCB79.jpeg
    3E7AA0E9-3EAD-4BED-8C20-229631EFCB79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    7.9 MB
Last edited:
I am sure this has been done before but decided to use RC components I had laying around to make a remote chute deployment system. If I like it, I may pop for the Jolly Logic one.

This one weights 15grams, so not much at all.
Will it work? Yes, I’ve made emergency chute things for rc planes/ payload chute deployed things in the past, and they work fine, as long as you are in range. So that would be the only concern, so you might have to go fly it at a non-NAR/TRA Launch/ a large park or area.

Will it work? Yes, I’ve made emergency chute things for rc planes/ payload chute deployed things in the past, and they work fine, as long as you are in range. So that would be the only concern, so you might have to go fly it at a non-NAR/TRA Launch/ a large park or area.
Range is at least a mile, but the chute would only be deployed a few hundred feet away. I am only flying rockets to 2000 feet or so.

My buddy just let me know they have receivers that you can program to activate a servo at a pre determined altitude so that may be a better way to go.

My buddy just let me know they have receivers that you can program to activate a servo at a pre determined altitude so that may be a better way to go.
You just reinvented the Jolly Logic Chute Release!

I like your remote control idea better - after using my JLCR many times I can see having manual control over opening the chute bundle as a definite plus. More than once I set the release altitude higher than optimal to insure a safe recovery thinking the rocket could’ve fallen farther. Can the auto activate function be combined with a manual release option? That would be interesting - set the auto release at a very minimal altitude as a safety “valve” then manually open the bundle as the rocket falls if appropriate.

You just reinvented the Jolly Logic Chute Release!

I like your remote control idea better - after using my JLCR many times I can see having manual control over opening the chute bundle as a definite plus. More than once I set the release altitude higher than optimal to insure a safe recovery thinking the rocket could’ve fallen farther. Can the auto activate function be combined with a manual release option? That would be interesting - set the auto release at a very minimal altitude as a safety “valve” then manually open the bundle as the rocket falls if appropriate.
That’s a good question! I’ll have to get one of those receivers and try it. Admittedly I have always been Better at building things and programming electronics so this will be an uphill battle for me. 😂

I like the idea of RC releasing. You can determine when you want the chute to open in high winds or calm days. I need to see if my club would allow it. I have a Jolly logic and really like it. But with all the RC stuff I have I would like to use it for a release device.

I have used RC deployment at TRA launches. I do not see reason they would not allow it and there is no rule against it.
Indeed. I've been using RC backup for over 20 years. Originally using DTMF tones over UHF radios, then 433MHz UART modules. It's saved me on multiple occasions.

TP

RC Chute recovery worked flawlessly and had I set a Jolyy Logic to deploy at 200 feet it would have been in the trees. Being able to wait until it was 30 feet up saved it. Video below.

Attachments

• 73C14829-7055-4074-9254-DCCE5D04C409.jpeg
    73C14829-7055-4074-9254-DCCE5D04C409.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2D21C26B-A34C-459B-BE6D-D8688C68C5C8.jpeg
    2D21C26B-A34C-459B-BE6D-D8688C68C5C8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9C7B531A-534A-4DEC-A4B3-5FA0E866741B.jpeg
    9C7B531A-534A-4DEC-A4B3-5FA0E866741B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back