Rc boosted rocket umx brick.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrcich

Reaction score
I'm new to rc boosted rockets but not rc planes. I have done estes rockets as a kid. What is an easy rocket to convert to rc. Has anyone used the brick out of a umx plane.
I would like to keep it on the small side to keep the cost of engines down. Thanks

There is no pure rocket that is easy to convert to RC, they just aren't designed in a way for glide, but stability without guidance. There are some boost gliders that people have tried to convert with moderate amount of success. If you like wood construction, JH aerospace makes some small boost glider kits for bp motors. I do a conversion kit to create a gliding version of the Estes #1250 interceptor into an R/C rocket glider, but use standard 4ch 5 gram(w/o case) receiver and small servos but I don't use bp motors, only composite long burn 18, 24 and 29. I generally don't kit things small enough to use the brick receivers, they just aren't robust enough for the larger models I prefer. Estes is coming out with their upscaled Orbital Transport kit, the glider I think is bt-50 based, it may be a reasonable candidate for brick conversion for the glider, it won't glide great, but will give you some steering so you won't lose it.

Frank

I'm new to rc boosted rockets but not rc planes. I have done estes rockets as a kid. What is an easy rocket to convert to rc. Has anyone used the brick out of a umx plane.
I would like to keep it on the small side to keep the cost of engines down. Thanks

Are you interested in a model that emphasizes "appearance" or "glide performance"?

If the latter, it's possible to have a high performance RC glider that flies on "B", "C", & "D" motors.

Dave F.

Last edited:
Back