RC Apogee Condor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Holverson

Reaction score
Has anybody here successfully converted an Apogee Condor over to RC? Fo that I don't have to reinvent the wheel too much? Any advice?

I have not see a conversion of one, but should be fairly easy to do with the Eflite/Spektrum micro brick with two servos and a one cell lipo.

Best would be to use one of the very tiny bricks from a uMX Vapor, since the Condor is rather small.

I probably would have installed the brick in an airfoil shaped pod mounted to the bottom of the fuse, just to reduce drag and keeps things symmetrical.

But, I have to admit that your way certainly works!

Dihedral is correct due to the plastic joiner in the kit. Elevator is probably coming later. This is mostly proof of concept to see what works. I did work up a pod but it would add 9 grams.

Now I'm thinking of adding elevator. Does anything think one of those wimpy little linear servos is stout enough to handle the drag and friction of two ailerons and a bell-crank?

Might be a bit sluggish on boost, but under glide, sure. With dihedral I would have gone with rudder elevator and not mess with ailerons/bellcrank but that's just me. I think you'll be fine.

Getting back to this for next season. Does the UMX card have a powerful enough receiver circuit to work in the big outdoors or is it supposed to be for more of a gym or auditorium indoor flyer?

I fly a uMX Whipit as a boost glider and it was fine to B motor altitude.

I have flown my uMX Radian micro powered glider a long ways out and very high with no issues.

Back