RC Airplane Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to get into an RC plane with fuel but I have to learn how to fly first. The guy at the hobby store told me in 2018 when I purchased the apprentice that fuel was $45 a gallon. I don’t know how true that was, I just went by what he told me. Some of the kits you can buy and build are so cool. I would love to have a jet but your talking $2000 just for the jet engine and you need a license to fly them. I have seen them fly and you want to talk about fast and loud!
Glow fuel is expensive. That is why you move up to a gasoline engine. Plus you get a bigger plane that most likely handles better and is easier to fly.

Saw a guy flying an electric ducted fan "jet" last weekend. Nobody else at the field. He did have an enclosed trailer towed behind his pickup.
Trailers are very nice to haul around planes.

Attachments

• Loaded trailer 004.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
This is off the subject a little bit. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with the Cox electric Sky Cruiser. I bought this model plane about 12 years ago and just broke it out of the box this past week. Unfortunately, Cox model planes are now out of business. Of course, the Lipo battery for the rcx is no good. I put new AA batteries in the tx, but the display screen is blank when I turn on the tx. I can hear the trim beeping when I push the buttons, but there is no display. Is this unit no good?

Glow fuel is expensive. That is why you move up to a gasoline engine. Plus you get a bigger plane that most likely handles better and is easier to fly.

On the other hand, gas planes are bigger and every other part of the plane, outside the contents of the fuel tank, is a lot more expensive. Especially when you crash it.

Lots of good advice here, especially the advice to contact an RC flying club in your area.
The balsa planes are really great, but can take huge amounts of effort and time to build that may end up in the trash can in a heartbeat.

I'm learning to fly a large electric foamie. An 82 inch span Cessna 150 that is a joy to fly and very forgiving. However I spent hours flying on a simulator before flying the Cessna. Real Flight Evolution flight simulator is well worth the money. If you join a club, they may have a simulator you could use to help you learn. My club does. The buddy box system works well too. Remember, when the plane is flying at you, right is left and left is right. If you can master that, the rest becomes a lot easier. It's true you can get a small trainer for not much money, however they can disappear out of sight fairly quickly because of their size.

Again, get advice from the local club, talking it out with them is the best. If you do decide to start flying RC, join AMA Academy of Model Aeronautics. It's cheap and provides liability insurance for flying RC airplanes.
Good Luck.

This is off the subject a little bit. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with the Cox electric Sky Cruiser. I bought this model plane about 12 years ago and just broke it out of the box this past week. Unfortunately, Cox model planes are now out of business. Of course, the Lipo battery for the rcx is no good. I put new AA batteries in the tx, but the display screen is blank when I turn on the tx. I can hear the trim beeping when I push the buttons, but there is no display. Is this unit no good?
Believe it or not, I think I have that in my basement somewhere and flew it a few times before losing interest and storing it away. I'll message you if I dig it up and can test it.

FWIW I joined a local RC club a few years ago and only managed to go for a lesson on the club trainer (on buddy box w/club prez) once before Covid hit and froze everything. Since then I haven't had the chance to go back, but may this year.

Of note is that I have SO many hobbies and rocketry ended up more of a priority for me since I found it more fun and rewarding. :) YMMV

My first RC plane was a House of Balsa 2 x 4 glider. Built and learned to fly by throwing it a big field. Check out Motion RC
https://www.motionrc.com/Check out RC Groups if you want to sell, or buy stuff. Lots of ads
Buy a trainer of some sort to learn on. Many to choose from. Make it a high wing with tricycle gear. That way it will fly slow and ground handle well.
The B-17, not a trainer and a lot of little balsa sticks to glue together. But they are nice when finished. Do not know much about the others.
There a several clubs in CO, find one and at least go out a watch and ask questions. Our club even has a club trainer that a nubi can try with the buddy box. They might also.
I have flown RC now for over 50 years, love to see a new person come out. That is the only way our hobby will stay alive. Do not get discouraged, crashes will happen. A couple of good tricks, when the plane is coming back towards you, the controls are reversed. If you look at the plane over your shoulder, they are not reversed. Also if you keep you antenna pointed in the direction of forward flight, again, they are not reversed.
Good luck and have fun.
PS, my avatar is a MIBO Jets A-10, 120" wing span and twin Jetcat P-120 engines.

I haven't built a plane since my teens, but threads like this do get me thinking. The farm is a great place for a sailplane; the eagles certainly enjoy the thermals on the ridge.

Then I get all distracted and start looking at things like this:

Saito FG-73R5.jpg

Then I look at this and go back to work.

Price.jpg

My first RC airplane was the Butterfly. Super easy to fly. Had to wait for the motor to run out of fuel because even at idle that thing didn’t want to lose altitude.

When I started flying at my club in 2013, I was about the only one flying electric. When I started flying EDFs at my field in 2019, I was the only one flying EDFs. Now at least half the club fly electric and 4 or 5 of us fly EDFs. If you don't have a space like a detached garage, think twice about going gas or internal combustion. They are usually smelly and without a place to isolate them, you may wish you had gone electric. Electric is simple and no smell involved.

But if you want an IC motor, more power to you. I agree with an earlier post. If you're not sure you want to dive in deep, go with the HobbyZone Aeroscout or a similar one at MotionRC. It's cheap and if you find it's not your hobby, you haven't invested in a top priced plane, Transmitter (Tx), etc. By the time you've mastered a trainer, you will know better what you want and can afford. None of the MotionRC planes come with a Rx or Tx. If you get the Spektrum Ready to Fly (RTF) version at HorizonHobby it comes with everything. But the Tx, charger, etc. are BASIC. If you are sure you like the RC Model hobby, get the BNF (ReceIver INCLUDED) model at AMain or HorizonHobby. Then add an upgraded separate 6 or 8 Channel Spektrum NX series or older DX Generation 2 or 3 Tx. And you need a battery and a charger as well.

The Tx/Rx combo I use and recommended above are Spektrum specific protocols. If you go with them, you will sort of be locked into that protocol. There are Rxs that are compatible and much cheaper. But Spektrum SAFE Rxs are good for a beginner, helping you get the plane right side up with the flip of a switch. I would not recommend the Spektrum SMART batteries and chargers. They are way overpriced and not interoperable with the many other batteries and charges out there. Go to RCGroups.com for more info. Their search feature is great.
Don

Last edited:
Thanks Coyote, if you find out anything, let me know.

Ken, I finally got a substitute battery for the receiver in the mail today. I put it in the glider and sure enough the transmitter has bound to the glider and the tail flaps, rudder, and throttle control work. However, the transmitter display still does not work.. I am thinking even though the tx display doesn't work, I can still fly it. This glider seems tame enough that it is worth a try. After sitting in the original box in basement closet for 12 years, it is like I got a free glider. Maybe, I will learn something.

Last edited:
I've got the screen working now on the old Cox Cruiser. Also, I have bought the E-flite Radian. I found that the built-in E-Flite Radian receiver will bind with the Spectrum DX 6e transmitter that I already use for Dyna-soar rocket gliders, so there is no need to buy a new transmitter. I am finding that this old guy is all-thumbs and flying "electrics" is more difficult than flying rocket gliders. For me the "up" part for rocket gliders is much easier.

The way to learn to fly RC airplanes painlessly is buy a simulator transmitter and learn to fly them on your computer.

https://www.amazon.com/RealFlight-C...ocphy=1019903&hvtargid=pla-1883692647359&th=1
The above system is available from several other sources as well.
Yup it's 2 hundred bucks, but well worth the investment if you're serious about learning to fly RC.
Crashing is painless, you don't have to haul the hulk home and fix it, you just push the space bar and it resets the flight to start.
If the RC filed you will be flying from is grass, remember that tail draggers flip very easy upon landing in grass.
About a year ago I bought an RC EPO foam Turbo Timber and joined the local RC club and AMA.
I've crashed on the computer a huge number of times and crashed flying the real thing several times (currently on third prop and third or fourth repair of the aircraft) crashing isn't fun, fixing them can be but not always.

2 tricks to flying RC. Alway keep your antenna pointed in the direction of flight and when coming back at you look over your shoulder at the plane. This way the controls are never backwards.

Back