Razorback - From the TV Series "The Expanse"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like an agitator, laundry room sizing, over under design, confined spaces, ejecting laundry, spools, rear loading & venting, keeping in balance on the spin cycle ... is this the Clothes Dryer Trouble Shooting thread from a few days ago? :)

You can't take the Razorback Rickenbacker

Last edited:
Altimeter Bay and Launch Lug

I used a BT/C-50 x 2-1/2" long as the altimeter bay. Should be a good location and be adequate to protect the Altimeter Two.

Also slid the 5/16" poplar dowel fixture in to ensure alignment of the launch lug during the gluing operations.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

Papering Basswood

1/8" Basswood and 11 mil double sided matte paper. Using two of these for the recovery spool.

001.JPG002.JPG

CWF Day 01

Used my circa May 2018 CWF to fill in some divots. It's just about all gone, I need to have the ghost of Lucius Clay dig a Ball jar up from the back yard so I can buy more CWF.

Also took the papered fins out of the clamping fixture and put the drying rack on them. Flip and repeat... flip and repeat.

001.JPG002.JPG

Primer, Round #1

I sanded the CWF I applied 2 days ago and then sprayed Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer for the 1st coat... what I've always called red-oxide primer. I'll need to add another round of CWF to some areas, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the results.

All those hours of wood gluing the corners of the plywood resulted in nice smooth radiuses that aren't prone to chip like cwf is.

008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:
Feels like a good day to get all "Spooled" up.

Used a fly cutter to cut the centering rings out of the papered 1/8" basswood and glued them to the BT-52H 29mm motor mount tube.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Goofing around with Open Rocket to try to see if I could make a simulation where the rocket looked more like the 6 sided real rocket.

Pretty challenging... basically used pods and big thick fins that are canted. Likely not worth anything from the simulation standpoint, but an interesting exercise nonetheless.

2023-07-11 Razorback Visual Photo Studio.jpg2023-07-11 Razorback Visual Finished Top.jpg

It is definitely possible (and fun :)) to torture OR into doing some weird things, if you don't care about sim accuracy. This is still the favorite thing I've done, a long time ago:
quinstar.png
I tried to use canted fins to implement the cover pieces on top, but couldn't figure out a way.

It is definitely possible (and fun :)) to torture OR into doing some weird things, if you don't care about sim accuracy. This is still the favorite thing I've done, a long time ago:
View attachment 591524
I tried to use canted fins to implement the cover pieces on top, but couldn't figure out a way.
I have the Estes version of this, did you design it? Quinstar IIRC. It's great for park launches w/the kids. It looks cool, it flies low, it spins and I especially love that you don't need to get a plugged motor to use it. I've launched this bad boy 15-20 times

LOL no, it's a John Boren design. I love mine and bring it (converted to 24mm) to most launches. I also have a 29mm upscale which I only fly occasionally when I can get motors for it.
Nicely done! Are your designs posted somewhere? I'd definitely make a 24mm version at least.

Goofing around with Open Rocket to try to see if I could make a simulation where the rocket looked more like the 6 sided real rocket.

Pretty challenging... basically used pods and big thick fins that are canted. Likely not worth anything from the simulation standpoint, but an interesting exercise nonetheless.
If I could find just the right traffic cone, I think I could make this work LOL. Coincidentally, I just finished the last Expanse book. I haven't read all of the short stories yet tho

If I could find just the right traffic cone, I think I could make this work LOL.....
It's been done....​

Don't want to derail this thread any further, but... to make a 24mm version just leave out the motor mount. To make a larger version... check out this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/upscale-quinstar-build-s.137715/. I got the design files from @Charles_McG.

No worries Neil. I always enjoy your posts.​

Last edited:
Yep. I like scratch building stuff that hasn't been built before. And that's a tough row to hoe.
+1 for getting that expression right.

Anyway, I have found that with each new build, trying to come up with something unique and worthwhile becomes progressively more difficult. Worth the effort, though.

+1 for getting that expression right.

Anyway, I have found that with each new build, trying to come up with something unique and worthwhile becomes progressively more difficult. Worth the effort, though.
I've hoed a row or two in my day Neil.... ;)

Back