RavenPlus All-in-one Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So will this newfangled board allow use of a 9 volt, or just a LiPo?

I have used the glove warmers, they are great. Snap them like glo-sticks they work for 6-7 hrs.. 4 for 1.29 at Wally World. They use no "air" totally self contained. Gentle heat won't cook anything.

Last edited:
It would have to be larger and more expensive, so I'm not planning to do that (see 4 posts ago). Why do you want to wire in a 9V battery instead of using the built-in battery?

Last edited:
I have used the glove warmers, they are great. Snap them like glo-sticks they work for 6-7 hrs.. 4 for 1.29 at Wally World. They use no "air" totally self contained. Gentle heat won't cook anything.

Different type than what I was thinking of, Jim.

I've read about, but have never seen the type you're referring to. The ones around here are the air-activated type.

-Kevin

Since some of them are sold with adhesive backing to be stuck to the underside of your socks and inside shoes, I'd imagine they work relatively well in a confined space.

-Kevin

I have a box of those. They work well as foot warmers. When I was deciding which ones to buy I read a lot of Amazon reviews and some said that they didn't work at all. I was wondering if they were using them inside boots that were too airtight. I guess I'll have to wait for the next really cold day and stuff one in an altimeter bay with a thermocouple and see what happens.

Hi,

I have a box of those. They work well as foot warmers. When I was deciding which ones to buy I read a lot of Amazon reviews and some said that they didn't work at all. I was wondering if they were using them inside boots that were too airtight. I guess I'll have to wait for the next really cold day and stuff one in an altimeter bay with a thermocouple and see what happens.

I've had a bit mixed experiences. They work great as foot warmers (since the heat is contained within the socks and boot), but when I put one within an airframe in the cold it didn't seem to have any effect. Even the pouch itself felt cold. The warmth just dissipates too quickly.

I've been planning on doing a bit more experimentation putting two identical airframes with thermometers into the cold, one with a bag and one without. I'd like to hear on any results you get.

EDIT: Another thing that might be affecting it: I've heard that even though they are "air-activated" at least some types would also need some moisture to warm up. The moisture is available from your feet or hands, but in dry cold air they might not work as well.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've had a bit mixed experiences. They work great as foot warmers (since the heat is contained within the socks and boot), but when I put one within an airframe in the cold it didn't seem to have any effect. Even the pouch itself felt cold. The warmth just dissipates too quickly.

I've been planning on doing a bit more experimentation putting two identical airframes with thermometers into the cold, one with a bag and one without. I'd like to hear on any results you get.

EDIT: Another thing that might be affecting it: I've heard that even though they are "air-activated" at least some types would also need some moisture to warm up. The moisture is available from your feet or hands, but in dry cold air they might not work as well.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

You might have a point about the moisture. I think I read that they contained activated charcoal to hold moisture.

Here's another type. They're like the ones Jim mentioned but are reusable. I bought a couple to keep a 20 oz. bottle of nitrous warm. For that use a bag of hot water worked just as well but they might have potential as a battery warmer.

Adrian, your new thread about the possibility of a new tilt sensor reminded me of this.

What's the latest on the RavenPlus? Still coming?

s6

No, the Power Perch pretty much replaced it. A Raven with a Power Perch will do everything that the Raven+ was going to do except have oversized output switches, and fit into a 29mm tube. It's more flexible and a little cheaper than the RavenPlus was going to be, also.

Adrian

No, the Power Perch pretty much replaced it. A Raven with a Power Perch will do everything that the Raven+ was going to do except have oversized output switches, and fit into a 29mm tube. It's more flexible and a little cheaper than the RavenPlus was going to be, also.

Adrian

That's what I figured. Just checking for confirmation.
It's on my list.

thanks, s6

Back