Raven4 config for two-stage HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend ( weather and schedule permitting ) I'll be launching a small AT I-to-G two stage to about 3,500 feet at the DARS.org Gunter TX launch. I built this smaller airframe to get experience with electronics and procedures for composite motor multi-stage while a much larger two-stage is being built.

I've configured my Raven4 to ignite the sustainer at:

A. booster burnout: no separation charge, it takes a sec or two for an AT motor to ignite
B. pressure decreasing: increasing altitude
C. altitude > 1,500 ft : OR simulates booster burnout at 1,800 ft

( A AND B AND C )

I ground tested this configuration with the Raven4 simulated flight feature and it passed.

for those that have done altimeter ignition of a sustainer motor, does this seem acceptable? I was thinking of adding a velocity parameter as well but want to keep complexity to a minimum.

What ignitor will you be using to light your sustainer motor? Ravens can handle a dipped or augmented e-match but not any other sort of motor ignitor (particularly a standard aerotech). Also, why no sep charge?

I use my Raven 4s for all of my staged flights K and below and I love them. I usually add a velocity component in addition to the altitude (make sure you program velocity and not acceleration) for sustainer ignition control. And it never hurts to throw a time lockout in there where it won't fire after a certain time. Ravens are very capable, I like them a lor for staging.

I set my Raven up about the way you do. To make sure the sustainer lights, I have always done something with the motor to increase the likelihood. CJ taught me to use a .50 cal Pyrodex pellet at the top of the motor. That’s worked every time. I also try to use a blue thunder motor in the sustainer. CJ also taught me to use a dowel to keep the igniter from sliding backward during the boost phase. Just break it off before putting the red cap on.

Latest posts

Back