Raven vs. Marsa Altimeter for Accelerometer Triggering of Ejection Charges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Marvin Martian Jr. is an odd shaped rocket, to be sure. The electronics bay will be just forward of the fattest 24" diameter part of the rocket, with sampling ports for a baro sensing altimeter.

I'd like to use an accelerometer-sensing altimeter in addition to the baro one, just in case the "thin football' shape screws up the baro sensing in any way. I've had a recommendation for both the Raven and the Marsa altimeters.

Can anyone give me pros/cons for these two? The easier to use the better for me. I think both have the ability to sense apogee via accelerometer and baro. Assume I can turn off the baro if I want to?

I'm only familiar with PerfectFlite & Missle Works baro altimeters- any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 13744133164cc36ed26c3fe2.30446699.jpg
    13744133164cc36ed26c3fe2.30446699.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
I have owned and used both many times. Both are good options. For me the choice often came down to footprint. Small rockets and tight bays are perfect for the Raven. When I had more room, I often went for the Marsa54 (see there is a new 33 now) as I like the convenience of the LCD display and I much prefer standard and exposed screw terminals for power and switch activation.

I have owned and used both many times. Both are good options. For me the choice often came down to footprint. Small rockets and tight bays are perfect for the Raven. When I had more room, I often went for the Marsa54 (see there is a new 33 now) as I like the convenience of the LCD display and I much prefer standard and exposed screw terminals for power and switch activation.

Thank you!

I don't think you're going to have problems with the baro altitude. It's the high speed portion of the flight that's most susceptible to problems due to port location, once you slow down near apogee it doesn't matter much. Case in point, apogee-detect altimeters like the JL Altimeter One work just fine clipped to the inside of the nose cone, without any ports at all... residual air leakage into the body tube by itself is enough.

Latest posts

Back