Raven Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dipstick

Reaction score
I have a Raven one altimeter. A day or two ago I programmed it for a flight, no problem. Today I installed in a rocket to double check some new switch connections in the rocket...

The Raven won't seem to turn on. Upon battery installation into the power perch (fully charged supplied battery), I get a blue light on, but no tones. When I plugged into FIP it said the power was not on yet...any ideas? Tried two different batteries, reconnected the perch, nada.

Anyone come across this before?

I emailed Adrian, just thought I'd check the community here for a possibly quicker response...

It might not be going into ready for flight mode. It needs to be placed vertical. If this does not work try recalibration the accelerometer.

The little "cheat sheet" card that came with it might indicate what mode it is in and what you need to kick it into the required mode.

Just checked my cheat sheet. It should power up into the prelaunch mode (red-blue flashing). Blue only (but flashing) indicates "wait" mode, normally a button push from the prelaunch mode.

Given there is only a blue light and no beeps (should beep in all the modes I think) I suspect you have a processor hanging up, or a POST (power on self test) failure.

I am assuming there is nothing pushing the button.

If you have used metal spacers for the Raven make sure they are isolated from any tracks. Maybe have a look around them in case you have tweaked one of the surface-mount parts accidentally.

Try unplugging the power for about 10 minutes, to allow the supercap to entirely discharge, and then powering up again for a cold start

Other than that Cris is the guru on this and will have the answer.

Last edited:
Well, Adrian responded within seconds so this post was redundant :) Turns out it's a firmware glitch on the Raven one that doesn't let it power up properly if it doesn't have enough time between recycling of power switch. I'm back in business now.

No, there is no "fix" for it, but these two options both which worked for me (from Adrian)

You can short the big cap to complete the reset or wait longer before attempting to power it on again.

Back