Raven Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSenesy

Reaction score
As I frantically try to get everything finished for LDRS, I just realized that I don't have a Featherweight USB charger board to charge the battery that's included in the power perch. I do have the 38mm av-bay, which has a battery charger in the active bulkhead. My question is, can I just hook the active bulkhead up to a USB source with the battery plugged in without the Raven attached? I'm doing this now and it appears to work, but I'd like some feedback as I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Jim.

Av-bays are the only things I have to get done and I was freaking out last night when I found I didn't have a charger. I found one in a hobby shop this morning along with some replacement batteries (just a bit larger capacity at 160 mAh).

Anybody ever use a 160 or 200 mah battery instead of 130s that come with it. I found them for $1.20 a piece if you buy 20.

Anybody ever use a 160 or 200 mah battery instead of 130s that come with it. I found them for $1.20 a piece if you buy 20.

I'm modifying my power perch(s) to take the 160. It's about a 1/4" longer than the 130. I'll save my 130's for the 38mm av-bay in my Blackhawk.

Mind sharing your source if it's not something you'd like to keep private?

Thanks Jim.

Av-bays are the only things I have to get done and I was freaking out last night when I found I didn't have a charger. I found one in a hobby shop this morning along with some replacement batteries (just a bit larger capacity at 160 mAh).
The Featherweight manual says you can recharge the battery through the USB connector on the 38 mm av-bay. You need the Featherweight charging board or a real LiPo charger for the 24 mm and 29 mm av-bays.

You can always upsize the battery however make sure you get the polarity right since the alitmeter does not have polarity protection.

Bob

The Featherweight manual says you can recharge the battery through the USB connector on the 38 mm av-bay. You need the Featherweight charging board or a real LiPo charger for the 24 mm and 29 mm av-bays.

You can always upsize the battery however make sure you get the polarity right since the alitmeter does not have polarity protection.

Bob

I have heard that is bad with lipo batteries. Something about fire and smoke?

I have heard that is bad with lipo batteries. Something about fire and smoke?

Reading the instruction manual for the device is helpful. https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/uploads/38mm_instructions_June21_lower_res.pdf

See page 5. The 38 mm av-bay has a usb connector that is connected to a circuit board that the battery plugs into. The regulator chip on the board drops the 5 volts from the USB cable to the proper voltage to charge the battery. The 24 mm and 29 mm av-bays do not have this so you need to have a separate charger.

Also note the Raven's USB connector does not charge the battery.

Reading the instruction manual for the device is helpful. https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/uploads/38mm_instructions_June21_lower_res.pdf

See page 5. The 38 mm av-bay has a usb connector that is connected to a circuit board that the battery plugs into. The regulator chip on the board drops the 5 volts from the USB cable to the proper voltage to charge the battery. The 24 mm and 29 mm av-bays do not have this so you need to have a separate charger.

Also note the Raven's USB connector does not charge the battery.

I personally was being sarcastic. I have read the manual. I have also read a lot about lipo batteries catching fire. I have also had them get hot and smoke if over charged or charged with the wrong polarity.

Bob

Not exactly. Large Lipo batteries can put out enough current in a short circuit situation to burn out the output switches. Most airstarts, for example, develop a short through the plasma when the motor ignites. I had room to squeeze on 2 higher-capacity output FETs for the Raven3 design. They are rated for over 30 Amps, which is 100 times more than you need to ignite a Quest Q2G2. Since most people will use ematches for the Apo and Main channels and put airstarts on the 3rd and 4th channels, I put the high-current FETs in those positions. The Raven and Raven2 also have somewhat higher-current FETs in the 3rd and 4th channels, more around the range of 12-16 Amp capability.

I actually did read that before my original post, but my question was if the Raven needed to be plugged into the bulkhead while charging. I wasn't sure if there was some type of sensing circuit on the Raven that would be needed to signal the indicator on the bulkhead that the battery was charged. The manual has you fully assemble the 38mm av-bay before it talks about charging.

Yes, the bulkhead will charge the battery with just a USB and the battery connected; you don't need the Raven connected.

Back