Raven 3 Auxiliary Data Collection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caruolo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I plan to attempt my L3 at BALLS this Saturday, and have two stratologgers as main/back up system. However, I want to characterize future EX motor flights, and will need to incorporate an accel. based altimeter like the Raven 3.

My question is, since I'm using the Raven 3 as an auxiliary flight computer just for data collection, what Ohm resistors should I put in place of the ematches? I don't want to fry the thing, but I still want to collect flight data from it.

Thanks!

None. Just don't connect anything to the pyro outputs; it will still record data with no load(s). Good luck with your cert.

Glad to hear the Raven does not need silly resistors.

I practically never fly my Eggtimer Quarks, and the need for resistors is probably why.

Glad to hear the Raven does not need silly resistors.

I practically never fly my Eggtimer Quarks, and the need for resistors is probably why.

The Quark is strictly meant to be a deployment controller, so other than getting an apogee beep-out there's not much sense in flying it without doing deployments. All of the other Eggtimer altimeters are capable of having the deployments turned off so you can fly them in data-collection only mode; I do that all the time with the TRS, to get the GPS tracking with the live baro altitude data.

Just turn the outputs "off" in the programmer and one is good to go. Kurt

Well, yeah you can do that, but I don't think it's necessary to do that. Pretty sure a Raven 3 with bone stock default config and nothing connected to the pyro outputs will act as a flight recorder just fine.

Well, yeah you can do that, but I don't think it's necessary to do that. Pretty sure a Raven 3 with bone stock default config and nothing connected to the pyro outputs will act as a flight recorder just fine.

This is what I was hoping to hear, it's straight from a dealer and I don't want to take the board off my sled to program it (something in the way of using the micro usb on the sled).

I'll give it a go, if it works it works, if not I'll figure something out for future flights.

Thanks!

Attaching a 100 Ohm 1/4watt resistor to the main output is really not that big a deal if wanting to use it with an apogee only project. Kurt

I totally agree but with many surplus computers laying around I tend to pick up the one that makes it easiest.

Also after writing that I remembered the Quarks have a smaller screw hole size, which may be the true reason they fly less.

Too late for the BALLs launch, but yes, you should be able to fly it with or without resistors. Or you could use the old style Christmas lights (not LED) which is what I use for testing. One reason you might want to attach something would be then you could see when the Raven would have fired the ematches (by looking at the voltage traces for the different outputs). It actually would be a way to test things like 'fire on motor burnout' without actually doing it. You could look at the flight data and verify how/when the Raven would actually do it.

By the way, I just posted a thread where one BALLs flight used the Raven3 to record chamber pressure data in flight...

Back