Rattworks AARD Advanced Retention Release Device

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
Anyone who has used this device, if you would be so kind to post your experience and/or thoughts about it along with pictures, diagrams or whatever of your set-up for use in dual deploy situations I would appreciate it very much.

Thinking of using it in a short, stubby rocket with little room to spare.

Thanks!

It works!
I had one and used it a few times.
My Bruiser came in hot without deployment and wrecked everything due to power loss.
The shock cord rigging is critical when using this device.

Here's an onboard video using the ARRD:
https://youtu.be/emOhT_Iuty8

JD

I used one in a 4" Tembo, along with a Peregrine C02 ejection system, and a custom carbon fiber shroud to house the main. It was more a test configuration and I really liked the ARRD and look forward to using it in another build. I did an over the top amount of bench testing on the device and I can tell you that if you set it up right they work. The issue is setting them up right as it can be finicky but there is a feel to it when done correctly. I would say if you get one, practice setting up and tearing it down until you get the feel.

View attachment 277574View attachment 277575View attachment 277576

Last edited:
I have used the ARRD on a modified LOC Minie Magg Nosecone (5.5"). You want to practice putting the ARRD together at home to learn the proper procedure. The ARRD work like a charm. One time I cut the O-ring on the main piston during assembly because I became distracted during assembly. I Emailed Rattworks and they sent me some new O-rings at no charge. It would have been nice to have had extras included with the original purchase.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE SETUP I USED even though I had three successful flights. A mobius camera attached to the shock cord and pointing at the base of the nose cone revealed that I was just lucky three times.

Below is a Cut-a-way view of Minie Magg Nosecone setup. Motor deploy at apogee. Electronics in the smaller 38mm tube. The vent hole for the Stratologger was in the shoulder of the NC. The larger 2.56" tube housed a custom deployment bag with a 36" chute. The shock chord from the air frame attached to the eye-bolt attached to the bulk head. An 18" apogee drogue had a short Y-harness, one end attached to the ARRD the other end attached to the top of the D-bag. The main chute had a short shock cord that attached to the eye-bolt and the D-bag had a short cord attached to the top of the main chute so everything came down together.

NoseConeCutAWay.jpg

Here you can see the drogue deployed shortly after apogee. The main shock cord between the NC and the air frame is the black object in the foreground. You can see the drogue in the upper right. Notice that the camera is pointed at the horizon. This means that while descending under the drogue the NC and air frame where in a horizontal orientation. This allowed the main shock cord to wrap around the short cord that attached the drogue to the ARRD/main harness.

MMaggDD-2ndTest-4.jpg

Main shock cord entangled with the Drogue harness. If the drogue had been bigger it could have kept the NC above the airframe and the tangle would not have happened, but if it had been bigger then I might as well have deployed the main at apogee.

MMaggDD-2ndTest-6twist.jpg

Luckily things untangled before the ARRD released, allowing the drogue to extract the D-bag and deploy the main chute.

MMaggDD-2ndTest-3.jpg

I think some of the cable cutter setups I have seen could fall prey to this same problem.

A solution might be to attach the main cord and the drogue to the ARRD and then the ARRD to the D-bag.

I have used the ARRD on a modified LOC Minie Magg Nosecone (5.5"). You want to practice putting the ARRD together at home to learn the proper procedure. The ARRD work like a charm. One time I cut the O-ring on the main piston during assembly because I became distracted during assembly. I Emailed Rattworks and they sent me some new O-rings at no charge. It would have been nice to have had extras included with the original purchase.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE SETUP I USED even though I had three successful flights. A mobius camera attached to the shock cord and pointing at the base of the nose cone revealed that I was just lucky three times.

Below is a Cut-a-way view of Minie Magg Nosecone setup. Motor deploy at apogee. Electronics in the smaller 38mm tube. The vent hole for the Stratologger was in the shoulder of the NC. The larger 2.56" tube housed a custom deployment bag with a 36" chute. The shock chord from the air frame attached to the eye-bolt attached to the bulk head. An 18" apogee drogue had a short Y-harness, one end attached to the ARRD the other end attached to the top of the D-bag. The main chute had a short shock cord that attached to the eye-bolt and the D-bag had a short cord attached to the top of the main chute so everything came down together.

View attachment 277680

Here you can see the drogue deployed shortly after apogee. The main shock cord between the NC and the air frame is the black object in the foreground. You can see the drogue in the upper right. Notice that the camera is pointed at the horizon. This means that while descending under the drogue the NC and air frame where in a horizontal orientation. This allowed the main shock cord to wrap around the short cord that attached the drogue to the ARRD/main harness.

View attachment 277683

Main shock cord entangled with the Drogue harness. If the drogue had been bigger it could have kept the NC above the airframe and the tangle would not have happened, but if it had been bigger then I might as well have deployed the main at apogee.

View attachment 277684

Luckily things untangled before the ARRD released, allowing the drogue to extract the D-bag and deploy the main chute.

View attachment 277685

I think some of the cable cutter setups I have seen could fall prey to this same problem.

A solution might be to attach the main cord and the drogue to the ARRD and then the ARRD to the D-bag.

This thread got me thinking about the builds I have planned and if one of them could potentially reuse my ARRD. When envisioning the setup I recalled seeing your build thread with the D-Bag in the nosecone and thought if I do it again it has to be a min 5" rocket and that is how I will do it. Of course now that you pointed out one potential flaw with it I will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback on that and great pics of the deployment.

Great idea to have the camera mounted to provide feedback. I need to do this on my next tether deployment.

Back