Rattle can painting in tight places

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Boreas

Reaction score
I have just finished building US Rockets' Dual 18 mm Rear Eject and am trying to figure out how to paint the engine pods. I have a basecoat of primer + white over the entire rocket. But I want to paint the the engine pods orange. I probably should have masked the glue surfaces and painted the pods prior to assembly, but too late now. What would be the best way (using a rattle can) of getting the paint into the narrow space between the nose cones and fuselage? I am afraid of creating runs by getting too close. Thoughts?

tomsteve

Reaction score
that's a situation ive found myself in,too. what I do is tape off what I dont want painted and mist from a distance and at different angles- light coats until full coverage.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Use extra parts, make a moc-up, and practice.
Unless your ready to sand runs, accept dry spray or light covered areas,
That's your best bet for obtaining a method that will give you the results your looking for.

Boreas

Reaction score
tomsteve,

Painted it tonite - your advice seemed to work pretty well. I haven't taken the masking tape off yet as I have to spray the fins black. But I got no runs and I can't seem to see any base white in the tight spot. Thanks!

tomsteve

Reaction score
cool beans!! something woody mentioned is dry spray, which ive had happen. a couple coats of clear seems to make dry spray less noticeable.

byoungblood

Reaction score
Sometimes the best option is to paint, then assemble. Sometimes it is just too hard getting good coverage in tight spots or masking adjacent areas tricky.