Rattle Can paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Why is it, that when you actually WANT the can to spray some droplets or splattered look- for the life of you cant make it happen.
Yet when your just looking to add that really nice final finish coat- not that you had too " because it will be perfect then " does that sun of a gun splatter every time :p
Playing around with some funky preflight paint on a scratch cluster I built and actually WANT some splatters in it. After farting around for a while I kinda sorta got the look I wanted, see how it dries and I may post a pic if it if isnt too ugly :facepalm:

Use a popsicle stick to get the splatters. Press the nozzle down with the popsicle stick making sure you have about an inch of the stick forward of the nozzle.

Use a popsicle stick to get the splatters. Press the nozzle down with the popsicle stick making sure you have about an inch of the stick forward of the nozzle.
That's a pretty cool idea, I need to try that. With some paints you can get the same results by chilling the spray can.

Are you looking for random splatters like a Jackson Pollock, or for a textured finish?

If random splatters you could spray to a brush then splatter if you just need some minor splatters and you want some control. I have never tried the popsicle trick, will have to remember that one.

If textured, just hold the can a bit further away and it will lay down drier. This works well for some paints but others not so well, so YMMV. Also higher humidity can speed up the dry time with some paints and if you don't adjust your spray distance, closer for higher humidity, then it will lay down drier and give you that textured effect.

I suggest you buy some Rustoleum spray paint (Walmart sells it). Seems like every can I have works once, then splatters once before I trash it--2/3 full. :(

Back