rate my rocket (Episode II)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
Sceptor:

24mm BT & 18mm motor mount

yeah... I know the sequel is rarely as good as the original

a dead reckoning design (or is it dead wrong?)

I went a bit more conservative with this one and expect greater stability.
Will post again once this and the other are painted (along with the dozoen or so others waiting in the paint shop)

My old eyes need a closeup of the tail, please!

sandman

I give it a 4.5 out of 5. Excellent rocket dude! Can't wait to see the paint job and many launch photos. You are going to photograh the lauch? We love photos of launches. Don't make me change my rating to 0 of 5 because you didn't finish the assignment. :)

Painting weather has just about returned to KY (for me anyway). As for launch pics... soon to follow. Or should I fly naked and rename this bird to "the streak"?

This rocket was first launched yesterday on B6-4 impulse. Flew straight and true all three times. I had hoped it would be stable since I ran no calcs or sims prior to construction.

Next shot: C

I will try to post a couple images of the paint scheme later.

Here are some images of the painted "Sceptor"

Great rocket...ok paint job.

Launched this one again today. The first shot was just about out of sight. Had to walk a long way to fetch. The second shot bent the motor retainer on asphalt. The third shot completely and utterly pranged. Arced over under full power. Stabed the ground and then the ejection charge popped the fueslage off the cone.
The best part: no damage, unbelievable.

I have determined that this rocket is marginally stable on B impulse and unstable on C. So I added 1 oz (+) of wieght in the NC (BB's in epoxy). Probably conservative but safe. Should make for great shots on all BP power as well as AP. (Wow, an opportunity to use the 18mm RMS!)

Now, about that chute.....

Is nylon a practical alternative in a 24mm body tube?

Thanks

Originally posted by Stewart32
I have determined that this rocket is marginally stable on B impulse and unstable on C. So I added 1 oz (+) of wieght in the NC (BB's in epoxy). Probably conservative but safe. Should make for great shots on all BP power as well as AP. (Wow, an opportunity to use the 18mm RMS!)

Now, about that chute.....

Is nylon a practical alternative in a 24mm body tube?

Thanks

Great looking bird by the way! It does look "Corona" inspired. A 12" Thrustline nylon chute will do the trick. It'll fit in there just fine.

Originally posted by Stewart32
(Wow, an opportunity to use the 18mm RMS!)

you got reloads for that case?
where from?
:)

great looking rocket!

I have the hardware but no reloads as of yet. I thought I saw some on the ROL auctions the other day, could be mistaken.

That was it.

Flew again on a C6-7 then a C6-5 with "better" performance out of the latter. The first shot made for a neat ballistic flight and I half way expected a zipper. But No! I guess the CA soaked BT end worked (this time). There was a bit of tail wagging. May be over stable now.

What's the deal with epoxy? The brand I used, the hang tag variety in the dual syringe, doen't seem to set up well. Is is just cheap crap or what.

Back