rapid fire photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
This is the best launch shot of a liftoff (Estes Polaris) I've taken yet.
My Canon Power shot A-40 takes 2.5 pix a second in rapid fire mode.
The rocket is blurred, my truck in the background is crystal clear.
This pic was at ISO 50. I've heard ISO 400 is better.

Does anybody have OTHER ideas for better camera settings for "quick speed" photos ?

Spacecowboy.

As a general rule higher ISO is better for faster moving objects, but will produce a grainier image.

From the looks of the picture, the autofocus picked up on the background rather than the rocket, so.... use the focus lock feature (usually hold shutter halfway down) on the pad and rocket pre launch and then carry on with photograph on launching.

Picture is cool however and I'd just say that the blur is motion blur from a superfast rocket!!

The blur *does* look like motion blur. If you look at the launch rod, it appears to be focused.

If it *is* motion blue you can fix that with a faster shutter. Two ways to do this is to set your camera to a faster shutter speed an/or a higher apurture setting. If you can set the ISO setting on your camera, set it to 400 to help stop those rocket shots (or use ISO 400 film if it is a film camera).

great shot by the way. One thing to consider, *motion* blur like that gives the impression of SPEED which is a good thing in a rocket launch (imho :) )

A good example would be this shot of Airforce's Corona at NARAM 45: https://fliskits.com/photo_album/naram-45/images02/corona02.jpg

jim

what I really missed before I posted that pic is that the controller wires with the igniter (see the paper that separates the igniter wires) is dangling in mid-air amidst all the smoke....cool !!!!

Originally posted by spacecowboy
Does anybody have OTHER ideas for better camera settings for "quick speed" photos ?

I prefer not to use the 'rapid fire' mode on my camera, when I do use it I feel kind of outta control. I like to control when the photo is taken myself so tend to work on my timing more than anything. I try and press the shutter button the moment I see smoke from the motor, then the delay of my reflexes means the rocket is a few feet off the pad when the photo is taken. Sometimes I'm too slow (see attached) wheras others I'm too quick.

Thats just what I find works for me but it might not work well for you, either way its a good photo of a Polaris.

Back