Rant: abbreviations!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, I can’t stand made up abbreviations. I spent a good bit of my time trying to figure out what people were talking about when they make up abbreviations. For example, JLCR. I know they mean Jolly Logic Chute Release, but it is lazy no to at least put the full version in there somewhere.

Without spelling it out, it leave a lot for interpretation. Are they referring to: Just Lurking Can’t Respond or what.

Rant done. I am becoming an old cramugeon.

hahahahaahahahahahaha,,

Thank you Chuck,,

Dis was pretty funny..

Teddy

Technically it's an acronym, and does that mean that we should type the full term out instead of using:
1. NASA
2. NAR
3. LDRS, CMASS, NEFAR, etc, etc,
And the ultimate:
4. USA?

Technically it's an acronym, and does that mean that we should type the full term out instead of using:
1. NASA
2. NAR
And the ultimate:
4. USA?

Yes. Most of these are widely accepted abbreviations.

My occupation is so acronym heavy it causes safety issues. We even have compound acronyms- an acronym within an acronym.

Here’s a typical work conversation- A SECU fault caused some PIO which led to a CDI deviation on the ILS. Blasted past the TDZ and had to execute the MAP. FO was like WTF? I had to fill out an ASAP to CYA . Total PITA.

Ok, I can’t stand made up abbreviations. I spent a good bit of my time trying to figure out what people were talking about when they make up abbreviations. For example, JLCR. I know they mean Jolly Logic Chute Release, but it is lazy no to at least put the full version in there somewhere.

Without spelling it out, it leave a lot for interpretation. Are they referring to: Just Lurking Can’t Respond or what.

Rant done. I am becoming an old cramugeon.
In technical writing, good practice is to spell out the first use of an acronym. I try to do that here.

I had a boss who went to .. Virginia? to talk to the USMC about a power supply we were to supply them. He & the two other engineers had a liaison officer, who showed them around the base, & generally helped them out. During one meeting, he took out a piece of paper, and wrote down one of he the weird words they (the military) were tossing around. he quietly passed it to the liaison officer. She wrote out what it was, and quietly passed it back. After the meeting, he had a list of the commonly used abbv. words used at the time by the USMC procurement & Certification dept.

I knew what a CAGE code was, as well as PLSN, and as well many others.. But many years have passed!

1. NASA
2. NAR
And the ultimate:
4. USA?

NASA, NAR, CMASS, and NEFAR are Acronyms, the rest are initialisms. If you pronounce it like a word, like NASA it is an acronym, if you pronounce each letter like CIA it is an initialism. An abbreviation is a shortened single word, like abbrv.

1. NASA
2. NAR
And the ultimate:
4. USA?
Well.... technically JLCR, as well as some of your examples, aren't acronyms either. They're initialisms.

An Acronym is a shortening of multiple words (not always the first letter) into one "word" that is pronounced as a word and not letters. Examples are NASA, RAM, and LASER.

An Initialism is taking the first letter of each word and pronouncing the letters, such as FBI, USA, DVD, and ATM.

An Abbreviation is a single word that is reduced to make it fewer letters, such as Dr. or St.

I suppose NAR could either be pronounced as an initialism, "En Aye Are", or as an acronym, "Naar", and people here would know what you meant. I'm not sure if LDRS is ever pronounced as "Elders" or not.

Edit: Kallahan11 beat me to it by a few minutes.

Good points. After years in the military, I have begun to hate overlapping abbreviations. MI can mean myocardial infarction or military intelligence.

Back