Range box suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this comes up a few times a year..

Depends..

Most will start with a tackle box or old tool box, then grow it to the size of a small armoire with everything under the sun packing into it. They'll then pare it down to something a little more manageable, or into a case for LPR, a case for MPR, and a case for HPR. Some people start off with a tool box full of tool, and soon realize the socket set really isn't needed. And will have a case of motors, then only fly 4 or 5 motors (of the 75 in the case). And all their chutes, and... Plan accordingly, prep the night before, and you only need bring a small box.

Remember, you can always borrow the odd tool. Bring the tools you need for your flights of the day.

I have a modest tote, with a Plano "fishing" type organizer with tools & bits in it. the Tote has chutes, wadding, larger tool, the cases I'll use that day (or pre-assembled motors) masking tape, etc.. Things I typically use in a day, for the flights I have planned. I have a much larger tote at home that has all my rocketry stuff. I pick & choose the bits I want for that particular day flying..

Other flyers at our field have a small-ish tool box & small ammo case for their motors.. A folding table & chair.. that's about it..

This is the box I plan on purchasing in the near future --->>> Husky Model # 230380 25 in. Cantilever Mobile Job Tool Box (Link)

clear-black-dewalt-small-parts-organizers-dwst14825-64_1000.jpg

I use this. The compartments are movable/removable - real handy.

Last edited:
Plano Angled Tackle Box System -- tools in the top, one generic insert, specialties in the others.

I have one with GMA 18's, another with patelldp 29's, the right side usually holds my backup ignition system, left side sometimes has my Peregrine CO2, etc.

Easy enough to swap them out to match whatever's afoot.
50bce745-786d-4a11-8ab0-a63633159202_1.9717fe53887dc147a0e912b901720103.jpeg

I have two tackle boxes. First I used a small one and then outgrew it with stuff I probably don't need but haven't any better place to keep. Then I got more motors (which are in the "where else should I keep them?" category) and added a few more tools for prep and minor repairs, so that box was too small. I got a bigger one, still not big, and split my stuff between them. The new one has flight items like motors and igniters, wadding, a pad and launch controller for park flying, Slip-joint pliers for those removng those tight friction fit motors, etc. The other has tools and materials for minor repairs; I have it labeled "rocket surgery."

I keep a first aid kit in my car all the time. If you don't then I would suggest including some basic items in your range box. Bandaids, burn cream, acetaminophen, whatever you think belongs.

Sunscreen.

Separate from the range box per sé but good to bring to the range: a small cooler with cold water (or other beverage of your choice.)

Back in the day I had the cardboard Estes range box as a kid
One of these? I still have it.

upload_2019-2-15_17-51-27.jpeg

For range boxes, there's a plethora of configs that will work nicely. Find one that fits. This is the one I got on sale at HD and all compartments are removable. The 18mm motors fit very nicely and so do the 24mm E motors. Tuff as nails and going on its 5th year.

Motor Box Closed.jpg Motor Box.JPG

Yep had that same Estes range box and a polar pulse launch controller with the mini mean machine.. wish I still had it

When I was a kid I had this:

291599-a1886106e8b2ec7ba27031be09653c7e.jpg

Since I got back into things a couple years ago I dropped about $40 on a multi-level tool box from Lowe's:
rangebox1.jpg

The snap top fits small ignitors and electronic devices.
rangebox2.jpg

The upper tray holds a variety of commonly-used tools.
rangebox3.jpg

The big lower part of the box holds all my motor casings and paperwork and such:rangebox4.jpg

Attachments

• rangebox.jpg
    rangebox.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Get a bigger one then what you think you'll need. If you stay in this hobby long enough your range box will look like mine.

This is the back of my "range box" when I got back home from Balls.
47056892062_6d3e490726_c.jpg

sometimes this is not even big enough!

Tony

When I was a kid, my first range box was a shoe box.

Nowadays I have a big plastic toolbox. If I need something that won't fit there, it gets a separate box.

This also depends on what you are doing - flying solo, flying with a club (I don't get much time for that, with elder care and such), flying for a demo at a school. Different configurations of range box for different purposes.

I use the Plano 3700 (14x9) series boxes. Here's a bit of a guide to the various model numbers
Plano 3707 - 2" deep one big compartment - good for using as a tray to assemble reloads.
Plano 3715 - half size standard depth (2") single compartment - good for AT reloads in their packages lying flat, but you can really only get 2 or 3 packages in each one
Plano 3730 - the ubiquitous 3 1/4 inch deep box with 4 rows - good for 13-24MM motors
Plano 3731 - deep (3 1/4) single compartment - kitchen sink container
Plano 3750 - standard depth. Has two 14" long skinny rows and one double width row. I have one of these but rarely use it
Plano 3780 - Has 4 rows for storing motors, etc. on the left and a larger open space on the right that will hold masking tape, igniters, etc. It is 2 3/4" deep. This one is my favorite.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_150154016.jpg
    IMG_20200808_150154016.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200808_150209875.jpg
    IMG_20200808_150209875.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 24
I started out with 1 Homer box. Then 2. Now I have 4. One for tools and stuff. One for C, D, and E. One for F. One for G. I have the larger boxes for HPR and one for parachutes. Plus containers for dog barf, altimeters, tent stakes, a hammer, etc, etc. And a pop up outhouse. I also take a cradle, rocket stands, two tables a chair and between 6 and 8 rockets. It fills up the back of our Explorer. I normally only take the HPR motors to the club launches.

Attachments

• 20210224_142645[231].jpg
    20210224_142645[231].jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210224_142658[230].jpg
    20210224_142658[230].jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 33
I too have that same Dewalt box for all my engines and igniters. Everything else is carried in a large tool box with a single lift out tray that I picked up at a garage sale for $5.

I got this at Wallyworld awhile back. It holds everything I need for low to mid power, though I have ammo cans for anything other than Estes. All of the little compartments are removable and the ones on top look like they were designed to hold BP motors! It used to hold tools and everything, but now it's just the LP stuff and parachutes. I did get a small tool box that can accommodate any fix I'm likely to do at the field. It just stays packed up and the consumables like glue and tape are replaced as needed. Just grab and go!

IMG_20161211_161308.jpgIMG_20161211_161429.jpg

For high power stuff I have a few extras that go with me like ammo cans for motors and recovery charges, but not that much. I prep before I leave for the launch and only take what I need to support the flights I have planned or that day.

Back