Random observations on the hobby...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
These are just some notes of various events rocketry related that occured within the last few days to me.

-----------------------

On Thursday, while out and about, I stopped by the local Hobby Lobby. I always make it a point to stop by HL if I am passing within a mile or 2 (I always have the 40% coupon on my phone, and use it to buy engines I can't get in bulk).

While in the rockets section, a younger boy asks if I have launched rockets. I tell him sure, and proceed to play Q&A with him and his older brother for the next 20 minutes, bringing up a few videos on my phone of various launches. I could tell, based on talking with them, that they were very interested, especially the older one. I also perceived that they were from a disadvantaged home. They didn't have internet access at home, and had walked to the store from where they live (I gathered this information when I was asking about launch fields near where they live, etc). I pointed them in the direction of a starter kit (specifically the Estes Riptide), and a set of engines. I made sure to show them how to pick an engine (ie where to determine what engine to use). Having come from a home where money was tight, I saw the look I used to have...how to spend what money I have.

We were supposed to have a launch that day, but a thunderstorm looked like it was going to hit us at the time, so I cancelled (we had planned on a local club launch). Of course, by the time it actually got there, none of the rain actually hit the ground...

---------------------------

On Friday, I took my older son to the local water park, about 20 miles away, but on the way back, by adding 4 miles to my trip, I was able to stop by 4 Hobby Lobbys, 1 HobbyTown, and a Goodwill...perfect for rocketry shopping! Not bad for spending an extra dollar in gas.

First HL, found that most of the 1/2As, As and Bs had been cleaned OUT! Seemed like there was going to be a local Boy Scout launch that day! Picked up some Ds instead.

Second HL, picked up some B6-2s (my favorite engine), and scored 2 Cosmic Explorers for 7 bucks each on clearance! BT-55s, TTW construction, balsa nose cones...what's not to like?

HT, picked up a balsa biplane glider from Guillows...ah, the days...

Third HL, more B6-2s...and I noticed the Riptide starter kit and a pack of A8-3s were gone. I hope we had a successful recruitment.

Fourth HL, more B6-2s, and the checkout girl mentioned she had just built her first rocket and was going to fly it. (Really? Girls fly rockets?? ) I thought that was great to hear.

Goodwill - Snagged an old golf club bag...perfect for transporting our local club 4-post launch pad and the various launch equipment.

----------------------------

Sunday, Stone Oak Astronautical Research Society (SOARS), a local rocketry club I've started had an End of School launch. Another very successful launch, with more newcomers. We've been trying to generate interest...basically, everytime I plan to launch, we cast a wide net among the parent groups we're a part of, including special needs kids parent groups. It's been great to see kids who face uphill battles being able to take part (and have fun) in stuff like this, as well as make it fun for the parents too. We're starting to make a tradition where after an evening launch, we all go out for frozen yogurt....

----------------------------

Overall observations

Rocketry isn't dead...there is a place for it, and kids are interested, even if it is only for a short while.

I know Estes has gotten flak for having their stuff made in China. But after seeing kids counting pennies to see if they have the money to afford a starter kit...I'm not bitching anymore. I was there at one time when I was a kid, and rocketry was one of the things that kept my attention in school. If if can help someone else overcome their circumstances to achieve great things, I don't particularly mind if we have to outsource it to help make it affordable...at least for the beginner's stuff.

When you have a child with special needs, everything else is put in perspective, and most of it becomes trivial BS.

B6-2s need to be sold in bulk. They make great demo engines...perfect for BT-55/60 birds. Big Berthas, Stormcasters, Photon Disruptor, Bandit...all great rockets that have slow liftoffs and not very high apogees...perfect for visually impressive flights.

I keep forgetting to bring the keychain cams...

Random ramblings...now back to your normal programming...

FC

Last edited:
You didn't buy the disadvantaged kids a starter kit???
Hope you told them about the 40% off coupon...

Sometimes all it takes is one adult reaching out and touching a young mind to ignite that fire that can burn thru a lifetime. I won't bore anyone with my personal experiences but I was a beneficiary of supportive parents that fed my mind as well as body. I also was randomly exposed to rocketry by a man and his son on our playing field back in 1964 and it stuck. My observations are similar to FC's with a twist. Not all of us go on to work for an aerospace company or even a tech industry, but there HAS to be more recognition and outreach to generate the next batch of kids who dream of other horizons beyond the next video shoot 'em up games. If the marketing departments of said companies could find it in their interest to help support and even fund some type of outreach programs, we would all reap the rewards. You wouldn't believe the questions I got when I would go to schools on my own dime and give presentations (a launch,usually) that reflected so much interest and so little resources in our schools. Teachers these days are buying needed supplies for the kids out of pocket and God knows these heroes are sorely underpaid. My own company cast a hairy eyeball at me every time I asked for promotional posters of our newest motivational whatever mission or copies of trade magazine ads. Stickers and buttons were really hard to come by in bulk and I felt they didn't trust anybody outside of the "Marketing Professionals" to represent unless it was convenient for them to send us (most of the time unwillingly) to the meet and greets for adults at corporate affairs. There was no line item in the budget to support a local rocket club and yet we launched less than a mile away. I will still pull money out of my own wallet for these kids because if just one out a hundred 'gets it' and it spurs them on to loftier goals-then I had indeed 'passed the fire' and paid back that stranger's random kindness and patience that set the course for me. No- nothing is easy in this life and yeah, I mowed a lot of lawns and walked dogs and washed cars and windows and raked leaves and whatever I could for 'rocket money' back in the day. The economy sux and a lot of parents just don't have it to give. Thus, I would ask industry to step up and help guys like Fast Cargo, Fred and CJ and countless others who frequent here with the outreach and support of our hobby. It's really only the individuals who try at every opportunity to spread our particular brand of craziness to the general population that can get these kids in a program to stimulate them and help spark that imagination that drives our next generation's accomplishments. Time well spent, FastCargo-you may never know just the few moments you gave away could be an investment in our future and our hobby-thanks!

You didn't buy the disadvantaged kids a starter kit???
Hope you told them about the 40% off coupon...

Actually, buying the starter kit for them was running in the back of my mind. In the end, I figured it was still up to the kid..I wasn't going to force something on them. But I did make sure they knew about the 40% off coupon and that cotton balls make a decent substitute for wadding.

FC

You could print up some business cards listing the web sites of your local rocket clubs and places to go on the 'net (such as https://www.rocketryforum.com/) for additional information on rocketry and carry them with you for those occasions when you run into someone asking about rockets. I carry JonRocket.com cards with me, but on the back I've printed the address of a web site (https://www.orlandorocketry.com/) which includes a basic introduction to rocketry and information on local clubs.

I also like what Fred and others have mentioned doing ... getting permission from stores to place stickers on the rocketry products the stores sell with info on how to legally and safely fly rockets in the area. It's one of those things our club's talked about doing for a while. We just need sone round tuits.

-- Roger

Back