Rainbow Six / Rogue Spear

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe_cool

Reaction score
Merry Christmas, Guys!

Like many of you, I was into these first person shouters on PC 15 years ago. I miss the gameplay and the commradery.

Are there still any sites on the web that host games?! Thanks for any info.

I remember doing a lot of 1st person shooters, but only PC, and only the game play. No online stuff except for Mech warrior II. that online was fun..

Sadly, I miss a lot of games I used to have. I feel games in general have kinda changed over the last decade. I play WoW, but it's getting old. I was playing SWTOR for a while too. But in general, these games get repetitive after a while.. I have Diablo 3, and should pick that up again..

I tried Eve but that just seemed way to vast to learn in a few nights.. I do need to find something new.. I do wish some of the games of old came back.. Mech warrior, Sim City, Soldier of Fortune, Half life to name a few.. of course, the other thing that kinda gets me, is that all the new games all seem to "need" to have an online / interactive element to them..

I guess I'm old!

That's ok, I was digging around and came upon my box of X-wing, Tie Fighter, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. I believe all are floppy. Might have to think about running them in Dos box or other VM. I do not have a joy stick anymore...ugh.

Without getting too far down too many rabbit holes...

If you have a modern computer & modern graphics card, you really should try out Star Citizen...currently in pre-Alpha, about to get another update imminently...a pre-Alpha game is not for everybody, but I'm having a blast! see
https://robertsspaceindustries.com

If you have an older computer, check out GOG ("Good Old Games") at gog.com ... you can pick up the old X-Wing games, Tie Fighter games, even X-Wing Alliance (plus more!) for cheap, and they run well on modern hardware:
https://www.gog.com

My favorite game is currently on its death bed, Firefall. Screwed up by the developers (under direction of the investors) constantly re-iterating the game every new version, I have played it for the last 4 years and still love the sandbox openworld, 3d mobility (you can go as high as your jump jets will let you). Hopefully Ember will come along successfully and re-work the concept.

I was also a Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear player, we used to have great LAN parties and the hostage rescue missions were great. I also loved Total Annihilation (RTS) which I cant get to run on Win8 or newer and Rise of Nations (currently able to run on Win10 sort of but with an error that kicks the game out about 20-30 mins in which I haven't found a way to fix).

there are a few games that just keep going(and going)...games like DooM, Heretic, and Duke Nukem 3D. okay for the best graphics some downloading is needed. look for; zdoom(gzdoom) or 'eduke32' along with the terms 'high resolution texture pack' (note for duke, there are 2 packs that should be used together :)).
Rex

remember Descent? you flew a little spaceship thru mines (tunnels in the ground from which you extracted ore, not the blow up ships kind..) and shot at evil robots.. Probably my all time favorite. Then they had Descent III which offered a bit of the outside world along with sweeping the mine tunnels. And sadly, that kinda killed the game / franchise..

remember Descent? you flew a little spaceship thru mines (tunnels in the ground from which you extracted ore, not the blow up ships kind..) and shot at evil robots.. Probably my all time favorite. Then they had Descent III which offered a bit of the outside world along with sweeping the mine tunnels. And sadly, that kinda killed the game / franchise..

Oh yes indeed, it was the first game I remember where you could configure dual joystics, my favorite was the Descent Freespace though, kind of a Star Wars type feel. Going back abit further and my all time favorite still, UFO: Enemy Unknown and UFO: Terror from the Deep (TFTD).

Back