Rail Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the 1010 size, which I believe is the most commonly used size, and takes what are usually referred to as "standard-size" rail buttons or guides. There's also 1515 which takes "large" buttons or guides, and UniStrut which is even bigger, but is (I believe) a C-shape.

I'm interested to see if they'll sell it to you. My local grainger refused the sale because I was an individual and the item was under export controls. The reason they gave for actually refusing the sale was that they couldn't track the "extrusion" after they sent it to me to ensure it wasn't exported to a country in which it shouldn't be exported to.

I got my rails from McMaster-Carr instead. For a 6' section of 1010 (1") series and a 6' section of 1515 (1.5") series, 4 slot rails, I paid less than $60.00 with shipping and had it next day. The same would have cost over $70.00 from Grainger.

I have a Grainger 15 minutes from my house and do a lot of business there for work. I'm thinking about doing this for my upscale multi-Stage rocket's I love to build. I'm using a .25" rod now buy think the rail would start them off a little straighter.

I have a grainger around 15 minutes from my house too, but the aluminum extrusions are supposedly only stocked in their warehouses and have to be shipped in. Personally, I think its was a bunch of bull that they couldnt sell THAT item to me, but I'm seriously interested to see if its just our local store didn't want to deal with a private individual.

I never knew that 1" square T-slot extrusion rail could be weaponized! :shock:

That qualifies as one of the all-time phoniest excuses ever invented. I don't know if it was more of an insult to your intelligence, or an indication of the salesman's. I got my rail from McMaster-Carr as well.

MarkII

I'm interested to see if they'll sell it to you. My local grainger refused the sale because I was an individual and the item was under export controls. The reason they gave for actually refusing the sale was that they couldn't track the "extrusion" after they sent it to me to ensure it wasn't exported to a country in which it shouldn't be exported to.

Well, the reason Grainger wouldn't sell it to you is because they're a wholesaler, and they're not supposed to sell to individuals who aren't conducting a "business" (which defnition varies state-to-state and locality-to-locality). It's partly because they don't want the hassle of dealing with retail customers, as well as contracts with their vendors, according to a local Grainger manager who was explaining it to me.

Make up a company name, register it on their web site (it's free) and when comes time to order something, arrange for it to be picked up at the Will Call desk at your local Grainger (they'll transfer it intra-location for no charge), pay cash, and you're In Like Flynn.

Last edited:
As several folks have stated, Grainger is a wholesale warehouse supply company that does not normally deal with the general public, however if you walk in with cash they're likely to take your money.

Note - These "launch rails" are an industry standard aluminum structural extrusion made by several dozen extrusion houses, and they are all supposed to be interchangeable.

80/20 is one of the major US suppliers of this type of extrusion.
https://www.8020.net/

You can find your local distributor here. They also sell overseas so the line that Grainger gave JAllen is a crock.

https://www.8020.net/PostalLookup.asp

If you have an 80/20 distributor within driving distance you can save on shipping by picking it up, although they can usually get you a pretty good deal on shipping.

One of the best web suppliers of all things useful is McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/ and they stock 80/20 extrusions. (See attachment.) You should be aware that the 4' and 6' lengths are much cheaper to ship than the 8' lengths because anything over 6' is considered oversize by UPS. Since MMC delivers their orders by truck each night directly to major UPS distribution centers, UPS ground delivery will get your order to you next day in many parts of the country if you live within several hundred miles of a MMC warehouse.

Bob

View attachment mmcp1888-2009.pdf

Check for fluid power services nearby. I get 8020 extrusions at Midwest Fluid Power in Toledo, Ohio for about half what McMaster charges.

Back